College dean search committee meets

The dean of the College search committee met yesterday afternoon to discuss the procedure it will use to replace former Dean of the College Lee Pelton.

According to Dean of the Faculty and search committee Chair Ed Berger, the committee looked over folders containing the "between 60 and 100" applications for Pelton's position yesterday.

Pelton left the College last month to become president of Willamette University in Salem, Ore.

At the meeting, the committee discussed the strategy the College will use to narrow its search, Berger said.

Berger said he is unsure when the search will conclude, but said the process is likely to take several months.

"We'll probably have a couple rounds of screening" throughout Summer term, Berger said, until the number of applicants is cut down to between eight and 10.

After applicants have been narrowed down, the committee will seek personal recommendations for the remaining candidates, Berger said.

Based on these recommendations, the list will be reduced to three or four candidates, Berger said.

The choice of the new dean will be made after members of the committee conduct "offsite" interviews -- interviews held away from the College -- with the finalists, Berger said.

"At this point it's not really clear" when the College will choose a new dean, he said.

The other members of the dean of the College search committee are Religion Professor Susan Ackerman, Director of Alumni Relations Nelson Armstrong, College Counsel and Director of External Relations Cary Clark, Assistant Provost Sheila Culbert, History Professor Richard Kremer and Anthropology Professor Deborah Nichols.

In addition to the faculty and administration representatives, Watt Boone '00, Cara Mathews '99 and former Student Assembly President Frode Eilertsen '99 also serve on the committee.