The Class of 1998: A history in numbers: Class of 1998 had highest board scores ever

Like every class entering the College, the Class of 1998 was once only a jumble of numbers on paper -- SATs, GPAs and other figures.

During a 1994 interview with The Dartmouth, Dean of Admissions Karl Furstenberg said that, although it is cliche to tout each incoming class as Dartmouth's best ever, statistics seemed to indicate this was the case.

Although the class has developed and expanded beyond the statistics, the numbers still demonstrate an impressive record.

Out of the 2,153 students offered admission by the College in the spring of 1994, 1,059 matriculated. The selection of the '98s marked the first time in history that the College accepted more women than men.

The Class of 1998 excelled in standardized test scores in the final year before scores were recentered by the College Board. They boasted an average of 634 on the verbal portion of the Scholastic Aptitude Test and 693 on math, according to Furstenberg.

Nearly 28 percent of the '98s were high school valedictorians, and 9.8 percent were salutatorians.

The Class of 1998 flocked to Hanover from 67 countries. More than 24 percent are minority students and 41.86 percent of the graduates received financial aid while they were students at the College.

According to Associate Registrar Nancy Broadhead, the graduating class is composed of 1,027 students, most of whom are members of the Class of 1998. Forty-nine percent are female, and 51 percent are male.