Thayer, DMS, Tuck also award degrees: Ph.D and M.A. programs also honor grads

Before the more than 1,000 members of the Class of 1998 receive their undergraduate diplomas today, they will watch the College's small population of graduate students receive their degrees.

Yesterday, students at the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration and the Thayer School of Engineering had their investiture ceremonies. Students at the Medical School had their traditional class day ceremonies, and the College's arts and sciences graduate students held a reception.

Investiture "is a little ceremony celebrating the graduation of ... students," Associate Dean of the Tuck School Robert Hansen said.

A dean speaks at investiture, along with an outside speaker, Hansen said. Graduates receive their graduation hoods during investiture.

The different colored hoods represent the different degrees the students are receiving.

Lisa Conte '81, a 1985 graduate of Tuck School, gave the investiture's keynote address. She is the founder and chief executive officer of Shaman Pharmaceuticals, Inc., according to a press release.

Shaman Pharmaceuticals is a company which "goes into the rain forest to find new drugs," Hansen said.

Hansen said 185 students are scheduled to graduate from Tuck this year, and during today's Commencement, they will all receive Masters of Business Administration degrees.

The Thayer School held investiture at 10 a.m. yesterday in Cook Auditorium. John W. Ballard II '55, who graduated from both the Thayer and Tuck Schools in 1956, was the featured speaker. Ballard also received the Fletcher Award, the Thayer School's highest honor, according to a press release. Ballard founded Technology for Communications International, now TCI/BR Communications, in 1968.

Thayer School Registrar Daryl Laware said 89 Thayer students will be receiving 100 degrees. Laware said Thayer awarded its engineering prizes yesterday, including the Woodhouse Engineering Design and Environmental Engineering Prizes.

The Medical School held its class day exercises at 11:30 a.m. yesterday on the Mildred and Matthew Derzon Courtyard of the School. The Medical School Class of 1998 invited Environmental Studies Professor Mae Jemison to speak at their class day exercises, Medical School Communications Director Hali Wickner said.

Jemison, a graduate of Stanford University, received her medical degree from Cornell University in 1981. She served as a medical officer in the Peace Corps in Africa. In 1992 she was a member of the joint U.S. and Japan mission aboard the NASA space shuttle Endeavor, according to a press release.

Wickner said the students selected J. David Walsh, DMS '98, to be the student speaker.

On class day, Wickner said, 72 students received their degrees, before reciting the Hippocratic Oath. Traditionally, French Professor John Rassias has portrayed Hippocrates for this part of the ceremony, Wickner said.

In addition to those receiving degrees from College's medical school, school of business administration and school of engineering, more than 100 students will be receiving graduate degrees from the College of the Arts and Sciences. Assistant Dean of Graduate Studies Dottie French said 49 students are scheduled to receive Ph.D. certificates.

French said 27 students are receiving degrees from the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies. In addition, 52 students are receiving Master of Sciences in the Arts and Sciences degrees, and 15 students are receiving Master of Arts degrees.

Director of Public Programs Ann Malenka said the arts and sciences graduate students do not have a formal investiture ceremony, only a reception for the students and their guests, which took place yesterday.