Slow weekend for new alcohol policies

There were no registered fraternity parties this weekend, a phenomenon house presidents attributed to implementation of the College's revised social policies, a lack of funds and the upcoming exam period.

The new procedures for CFSC events, which went into effect Friday, limit the number of kegs at open parties to five and permit Safety and Security and student monitoring teams to enter houses.

Seth Kelly '99 who is the CFSC's events manager, a new position established to help regulate the new policies, said many houses needed to prepare for the new regulations.

"[The policies] came up really quickly on a lot of people," Kelly said. He also said that Green Key and Memorial Day weekends were big party weekends and now the fraternities lack funds.

John Kline '99, president of Chi Heorot fraternity, said the lack of alcohol funds and finals were the "primary factors" that caused the quiet weekend, but said most fraternities are not sure how strictly the new alcohol policies will be enforced.

"With S&S coming in whenever they want, the stakes are higher," he said.

"No one wants to be the guinea pig," said Aaron Pelletier '99, house manager of Alpha Delta fraternity. "No one really knows how it will work with Safety and Security."

He said AD lacked both the motivation and the funds to throw a party this past weekend, but also did not want to take the risk.

Jonah Sonnenborn '99, Interfraternity Council president, said the houses need time to decide how to deal with the new regulations. He said each house is different and will need to respond to the policies in an unique way.

Some students said they were surprised by last weekend's lack of registered parties.

Thomas Trimarco '01 said he noticed there were no parties on The Weekend Update sent over BlitzMail and instead went to parties in residence halls.

Ian Cohen '00 said he noticed this weekend was a lot quieter than the typical weekend.

Other students were too busy with finals and papers to notice. Sarah Kimberly '99 said she had a 20-page paper to write and "wasn't going out anyway."

Katie Wade '01 said she also stayed in to do work.

The new policies' effect on future terms' parties remains to be seen.

Pelletier said houses will most likely try to limit their liability by reducing the number of open parties.

Kline said Heorot will be much more selective next year with its parties and will have "to run a tight ship" because of the new regulations.