Easley '98 juggles academics, activism

While others flounder for direction, senior Arika Easley knows exactly where she is headed and what needs to get done.

Never letting time get in her way, Easley has been quick to devote herself to many groups, while committing herself to her award winning academics.

A sociology and African and African American Studies double major, Easley described herself as having an "academic passion."

Easley was Dartmouth's nominee for the Beinieke Brothers Memorial Scholarship, a national award, was awarded a Rockefeller Grant and received a Mellon Fellowship.

The Mellon Fellowship, designed to encourage minority undergraduate students to pursue studies in fields that might be unrelated to their areas of interest, helped Easley fund a research paper. In the paper, she examined the links and relationships between slaves and Native Americans, and explored how Native American culture affected and changed the African American community.

Easley said she thinks she made her most important contribution to Dartmouth's social atmosphere through the restarting of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

AKA, a historically African American sorority, had become inactive at Dartmouth, but Easley felt there was a place at the College for such an organization.

"I thought there was a need to have more support of women on campus," Easley said.

Unlike the members of typical sororities, members of AKA concentrate much of their energy on community service and helping others, Easley said.

In addition to AKA, Easley is a member of Casque and Gauntlet senior society and is co-chair of Palaeopitus, a group of 20 seniors who advise the administration on campus issues.

Through her work on Palaeopitus, Easley has been able to add input to the dean of the College and presidential search committees. She has also had meetings with the Trustees to discuss campus issues.

Easley came to Dartmouth from Long Island, and heard about the College when Dean of Admissions Karl Furstenberg visited her school. Furstenberg encouraged Easley to visit the College.

"I instantly fell in love," she said.

Dartmouth's wide variety of Language and Foreign Study Abroad programs also drew her to the College, Easley said.

Easley found time to take advantage of these programs when she went on an LSA to Lyon, France.

Easley said she is thankful for the comprehensive variety of programs at the College, and has found it possible to take advantage of many of them; but Dartmouth has also taught her to deal well with people, a skill that will be more important when she leaves the College to begin working for the Kaplan Educational Company.

Easley said she plans to remain involved with Dartmouth after Commencement through the graduate ties of AKA. She said she hopes AKA will provide the opportunities for other women that it gave her.

"Over the past four years I have been developing and learning, but only in this final year have things come together," Easley said. "My spirit is never going to leave this place; my love and my interest are never going to fade."