Assembly Elected to Represent the Students

To the Editor:

I just wanted to give a big thanks to the Student Assembly for bringing us a town meeting concerning the locked door issue. It really is very kind of them to express interest in student opinions -- especially after they had already voted. We all know their votes have a significant impact upon campus events anyway ... oh, yes, the administration really bends an ear to the mighty and influential Student Assembly.

With all due respect, however, it seems that a town meeting would be a little redundant -- don't the votes of the Student Assembly members already reflect the views of students on campus? So it seems that all opinions have been duly noted ... unless ... wait, the Student Assembly members cast votes based on their personal opinions? Not those of the student body? Who asked them to do that? I thought they were supposed to represent me! Isn't that why I elected them to office? Oh, no, I remember -- I voted for them so that they could make decisions for me. They probably know what is in my best interest, and I certainly can't figure it out.

In all seriousness, I have always defended the Student Assembly, despite its many critics. After all, these are the students whom we have elected to represent us. However, my loyalty stops when they cease to do that -- represent us, the student body, as we wish to be represented. I do not pretend to be an authority on the locked door issue, but it seems to be decidedly unpopular around campus. I think it is safe to conclude that the Assembly has overstepped its bounds. I don't think we gave them permission to make decisions for us -- only to represent the opinions of the majority of the student body to the administration. Josh, Frode -- it's pretty simple. And I'm pretty disappointed.