AC Levtov '98 voices opinions

Upon entering her room, one can see how Anat Levtov seeks to represent herself to Dartmouth and to the world.

Her closet doors are adorned with posters, such as "How to be a Fabulous Feminist," and others that challenge stereotypes.

There is a need at Dartmouth for liberals to be vocal and to represent their opinions, Levtov said.

She said her efforts to explain and defend her views to a conservative institution have made her more open and extroverted.

"My friends say you can see my politics on my walls," Levtov said.

While at the College, Levtov has acted on her principles through her work with the Sexual Assault Peer Advisor program.

This year, she helped organize Sexual Assault Awareness Week, where she saw one of her ideas through to completion.

While many professors discussed and asked students to write papers about sexual assault, very few knew the facts, Levtov said. To rectify this problem, Levtov arranged a conference to bring professors together with those who could help them understand sexual assault.

Levtov said she also had the privilege of attending a sexual assault awareness conference at Duke University.

"It made me really excited to be an academic," Levtov said.

Levtov has also been active in Amarna, an undergraduate society she said students often misunderstand, especially because many are not aware of their social options.

"The value of being in a co-ed house is that it is not exclusive," Levtov said. "Teaching others about that is important."

Levtov's extroverted personality has allowed her to gain valuable experience learning from her peers.

"I've shared others' experiences," she said.

And Levtov has many experiences of her own to share. Levtov was born in Panama and her family moved to locations in South America, before moving to Israel and, most recently, to Italy, where she attended high school.

In Italy, a member of an international admissions department told Levtov about Dartmouth and its willingness to meet the needs of an incoming Israeli student who would have to defer for three years to complete her military service.

That was all Levtov needed to hear.

"It wasn't a very informed decision," she said.

Levtov has brought some of her life experience to Dartmouth by working in the Office of Residential Life.

Levtov worked as an Undergraduate Advisor her sophomore year, as an intern in the ORL offices her junior year and is currently the Choates' Area Coordinator.

Watching how the programs she helped develop are improving the lives of students made the job worth any of the work, Levtov said.

She said being an AC provided her with the opportunity to meet even more people, which is a passion.

This passion is one reason why Levtov hopes to find a job working as a full-time employee in a college or university's residential life program, although her current plans remain a bit "up in the air."

"If that doesn't work out I'll have to take some drastic measures," Levtov said.

Though she has greatly enjoyed her time at Dartmouth, Levtov said many students have not been as fortunate, and it is important to reach out to those people.

Levtov said she hopes her efforts will not impact Dartmouth as an institution, but will instead effect students as individuals.

"I don't think I have changed Dartmouth," she said. "I think I have changed some people. The biggest thing that I can say that I have done is learn from other people, and I can pass that on."