Green take Plymouth for drive; Conway, Dieckmann fuel offensive attack in 10-6 road victory

The Big Green baseball team found the proper medication for their four-game losing streak on Tuesday afternoon. The Plymouth State pill. One dose and not only will you regain your dangerous hitting and solid pitching, but you will find yourselves in the win column as well.

Sure enough, the pill worked as Dartmouth knocked off their in-state opponent, 10-6, in Plymouth behind the offensive attack of Cherry Creek, Col. natives Mike Conway '99 and Yale Dieckmann '00.

Dieckmann belted two solo home runs to give him a team-leading three on the season. Meanwhile, Conway, batting in the leadoff spot, went 4-5 on the afternoon with a double, an RBI and two runs scored. Both left-fielder Ron Friedman '99 and first-baseman Aaron Meyer '00 also had big days, as Meyer drove in three runs while Friedman,brought home a pair of Big Green baserunners.

On the mound, Matt Tarver-Wahlquist '98 posted his second victory of the season by pitching five strong innings. Tarver-Wahlquist allowed only three runs and continued to be impressive as the midweek stater for Dartmouth. He has not been victimized for a loss yet this season.

With both the offense and the pitching coming threw to halt the losing skid, the Big Green machine that disappeared on the weekend in the doubleheaders against Cornell and Princeton showed some signs of life against Plymouth State.

"We had a real balanced attack today. We had great pitching from Tarver-Walquist that kept Plymouth State off balance all day," Conway said.

"We also got a great lift from our bullpen in the mid to late innings. We swung the bat well today and were definitely aggressive right from the get go. Yale Dieckmann had a career day with two home runs that set the tone for a great day."

However, it remains to be seen if the team can capitalize on today's momentum and use it in this weekend's games against Penn and Columbia.

"It's nice to win games like today, but the games that make our season fall on the weekends," Conor Brooks '00 said.

"Although we got swept last weekend, our season is far from over. It will be tough, but we still can win the Ivies, and we all expect to do just that," he said.

Dartmouth opens up their home season on Friday when they host Columbia in a doubleheader starting at noon. The homestand continues on Saturday when the Big Green do battle with the Quakers of Pennsylvania.

Dartmouth is now 12-6 overall.