Friars preach offense to softball

Dartmouth's bid to win back-to-back games for the first time this year was shattered by Providence College as the Friars beat the Big Green, 7-3, in Providence yesterday. The second game of the doubleheader was played to a scoreless tie and was called because of darkness.

The Big Green opened up a 1-0 lead in the first inning after Elizabeth Lucchesi '00 scored on a Chiarra Grabill '01 single up the middle. That would be last time Dartmouth held a lead, however, as the Friars banged out seven straight runs to take a 7-1 lead before the Big Green could respond. Dartmouth's rally in the seventh inning netted two more runs and closed the gap to 7-3, but that would be all the Big Green could muster and the Friars were able to end the rally and come away with the victory.

"We just made too many defensive errors early on and allowed them too many hits," Grabill said.

The second game was a defensive struggle that saw Providence's pitching limit the Big Green to only two hits. Dartmouth starter Christina Maybaum '98 would be up to the challenge however as she only scattered five hits while striking out two on the afternoon as she pitched a complete game shutout of her own.

Dartmouth's record now stands at 3-11-1 on the year.

On Wednesday, the Big Green recorded a 4-0 shutout over St. Anselm College at Sachem Field. Sophomore pitcher Stacy Sanders pitched a complete game shutout to raise her record on the season to 2-3.

Just as they did in the game against the Friars, Dartmouth scored in the first inning but fell silent in the middle portion of the game, not scoring again until the fourth inning. But the Big Green was able to seal the victory with strong defense while adding three insurance runs in the final innings.

Megan Hitchner '01 opened the sixth inning with her second hit of the game and later came around to score on a Carrie Hoverman '01 single to give Dartmouth the final margin of 4-0.

The squad faces Fairfield tomorrow afternoon at Sachem Field in Hanover.