Engineering prof given Fulbright

Engineering Professor Erland Schulson, director of the College's Ice Research Laboratory, won a Fulbright scholarship for the 1998-99 academic year.

The Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board awards students and other members of academic communities federal government grants to conduct research in other nations in an effort to increase the mutual understanding between different nations.

The Board also awarded Kwang Kim '98 and Justin Stearns '98 Fulbright scholarships for the upcoming year. They will study in Morocco and Korea respectively.

Schulson will be traveling to France to continue his research on ice and other substances, including metal and concrete.

"I'll be doing research on ice and its behavior and will be working with colleagues with similar interests and backgrounds," Schulson said.

Schulson received his undergraduate and doctorate degree from the University of British Columbia. He then conducted research for two years at Oxford University and later studied nuclear metals for nine years at the Atomic Energy Corporation of Canada.

He began his career at the College in 1978 and said he has published more than 200 scientific papers throughout his career, half of which were about ice. He founded the Ice Research Laboratory in 1983.

"I was encouraged to enter the Fulbright competition by a colleague [Engineering Professor] Francis Kennedy ... I actually forgot about it after I entered," Schulson said.

Schulson said he has an interest in French culture and expects to enjoy his time away from Hanover. "They have a well known laboratory in glaciography and geo-physics, part of the French Center for National Scientific Research," Schulson said.

He also said he is looking forward to spending more time on his research. "That's one of the reason I want to get away ... I have no reservations about traveling to France." However, he said he does not plan to spend the entire year overseas.

The scholarship, named after late Senator J. William Fulbright, was created after World War II to provide opportunities for members of U.S. academic communities to study or conduct research in 100 different nations.

Applicants must create a detailed research proposal and earn nominations from the academic institutions with which they are affiliated.