Students search for the elusive big sleep

While many people have heard about students sleeping late and missing exams, Dr. Michael Sateia, director of the Sleep Disorders Center at the Dartmouth Medical School, saw one student who failed an exam because he fell asleep while taking it.

As the end of each term arrives, an increasingly high number of students suffering from sleep deprivation visit Dick's House, Director of Health Services Dr. Jack Turco said.

But compared to other schools, Hanover does not have a disproportionate number of sleep deprived.

Sateia said Dartmouth students' sleep habits are typical of all college students.

"College students in general have poor sleep habits," he said. "By nature, they tend to delay their bedtimes and want to sleep very late."

Part of the problem has to do with their bodies.

"Younger people tend to have a biological clock that wants to run longer than 24 hours, meaning that there's a tendency to make days 26 or 27 hours," Sateia said.

Experts say the amount of sleep people need can range from 6 to 10 hours per day.

While schoolwork and social plans keep students up until all hours of the night, Sateia said alcohol also affects their ability to feel well rested.

Alcohol has the short-term effect of making people sleepy. But it eventually leads to a higher level of alertness, increased nervous system activity and poorer quality of sleep.

While not all students complain about sleep problems, many of their symptoms indicate a lack of rest.

"I think it's a little bit unusual for students to come in and recognize that what they have is a sleep problem," Turco said.

But he finds that many people with physical and emotional problems could improve their health if they slept more.

He said students are able to cope with problems such as anxiety, depression or stress, "but then they get sleep deprived, and that allows things to unravel."

More students also catch infections toward the end of a term, Turco added.

Turco said he sees some students at the College who have sleep problems after they travel on programs such as Language Study Abroad or Foreign Study Programs.

"In some individuals it can be a lot more of a difficult problem and can lead to some more psychological and sleep issues during the whole term," he said.

While students become more deprived of sleep as terms progress, many hardly ever sleep enough.

Jason Byun '01 said he "almost never" feels well-rested when he is at the College.

During the week he goes to bed between 1 and 2 a.m., and he gets up at 7 a.m. for foreign language drill.

Even though he is often tired and would like more rest, Byun said he cannot get more sleep. "During the weekdays, it's probably because of the workload, and on weekends I have things to do late at night," he said.

Eric Choi '99 said he "rarely" feels well-rested, because he goes to bed between 2 and 3 a.m. every night and has to be in a research lab every morning at 9 a.m.

"I'm busy doing research, and I like doing that, so I figure it's a sacrifice," Choi said.

Many students at the College say there is not enough time for sleep.

"In general, I expend a lot of energy during the day, and I don't give myself enough time to replenish it at night," Rachel Bogardus '98 said. "I get busier, I get involved in something, so I'm not able to go to bed any earlier."

Turco said students often sleep less because they are in "a much less structured situation."

"You kind of have to set your own agenda, so as a result, students may put off stuff at the beginning of the term," he said.

"And just the whole social calendar moves later on," Turco continued. "Life just begins at 10 or 11 on campus, which is very different from when you are at home."

Anna Piazza '00 said she actually gets more sleep now than she did in high school, because she has improved her study habits.

"I've learned how to study better, so I make sure I get my work done so I can sleep," she said. "I also like my classes, so the work is much easier to get done."

Students' lack of sleep has a negative impact on their moods, and it often impairs their abilities to concentrate and recall things, Sateia said.

"When I'm tired, I'm more prone to being mean to people, or being angry, frustrated or nervous," Piazza said.