Kawakyu resigns from Assembly

Student Assembly Vice President Nahoko Kawakyu '99 announced her resignation at the end of last night's Assembly meeting.

Kawakyu, the first write-in candidate ever to win Assembly office, said she made her decision because Assembly issues were forcing her to neglect her friends and herself.

"I feel that a lot of my energy's been spent doing things with the Assembly and thinking about the Assembly," Kawakyu said after the meeting. "At some point I began neglecting my personal needs. I stopped listening to my own personal voice."

Kawakyu said her decision was the outcome of several months of thought.

She said she began to delegate responsibility before her resignation, and she does not expect her decision to disrupt the Assembly's activities.

Assembly President Frode Eilertsen '99 said he understood her choice, but did not expect her to resign last night. "It's a surprise that it happened today," he said.

"I have a lot of confidence in the SA and in the individuals on the SA," Kawakyu said. "As long as they keep supporting each other and working together I see absolutely no problem."

Eilertsen also said Kawakyu's decision will not cripple the Assembly.

"Nahoko has done a fantastic job as Vice President and it will be hard for anyone to fill that void," Eilertsen said. "But the Assembly is not just about the President and Vice President ... A lot of the work will continue as before."

Kawakyu said although she is going to be an inactive member of the Assembly for the rest of the term, she will help the next vice president adjust to the demands of the job and hopes to lend her support to the Assembly in the future.

The Assembly will elect a new vice president during next Tuesday's meeting, Eilertsen said.

The decision to hold an election next week is in keeping with the Assembly's constitution, which requires the body to fill a vacant position within two academic weeks of an elected official's resignation, Kawakyu said.

Eilertsen said that any Assembly members can declare their candidacy during the meeting.

Dave Gacioch '00, who chairs the Assembly's student life committee, said, "I'm confident the Assembly will likely determine a clear successor for Nahoko. Although there would be nothing wrong with multiple people running next week."

Kawakyu said she was not aware of any other elected vice presidents in recent history who resigned before serving their terms.

In 1995, Assembly President Danielle Moore '95 resigned amidst internal squabbling and politically charged arguments at meetings.

Case Dorkey '99, who chairs the Assembly's administrations and faculty relations committee, said he sympathized with Kawakyu's decision.

"Anything that the Assembly accomplishes happens on the will of the individuals alone," Dorkey said. "All of the people on the Assembly have big hopes. To accomplish big hopes it takes a lot of will, and it's hard to sustain that for an entire year."

Gacioch said Kawakyu's decision may delay the Assembly's activities for about a week, but could be beneficial for Kawakyu, personally.

"As an Assembly member I lament losing a wonderful leader and student advocate," Gacioch said. "As a friend, I'm glad to have Nahoko herself back."

Gacioch said Kawakyu's decision may actually have a positive impact on the Assembly, by forcing members to consider why they are on the Assembly and "what kind of role the Assembly will play in the lives of its members."