Condos being built next to Grand Union

A formerly vacant lot next to the Grand Union grocery store on South Main St. will soon be home to fifteen condominiums for residents over 55 years old.

ElderLife Services Limited Liability Corp., owner of the complex, has already sold 11 of the 15 900 square-feet condominiums for $139,900 each.

Craig Ohlson, Hanover's planning and zoning director, said the lot has been vacant for years and was sold to ElderLife Services at the beginning of last summer.

Brookstone Builders Inc., the project's general contractor, broke ground on the complex in December. Rob McLaughry of McLaughry Associates, Inc., the marketing manager for the project, said the mild winter has kept construction on track and completion is anticipated in mid-June.

This is the first major project ElderLife has built in Hanover, although it is a Hanover-based company.

McLaughry said the condominiums are being built in response to Hanover's "real need for senior housing."

He said the small size and convenient location of the complex is ideal for older couples who may not reside in Hanover year round. He also said the presale of condominiums proves the large demand for such senior housing in Hanover.

McLaughry said the condominiums would be perfect for Dartmouth alumni "coming home." He also said "snowbirds" who buy the residences "can just lock the door and travel the world."

The site was chosen because of its availability and proximity to downtown. McLaughry said residents will be within walking distance of most of downtown Hanover and will not have to worry about cars.

McLaughry said features of the complex will include a community room for residents wishing to entertain guests and an elevator. Each unit will also include a one-car detached garage.

The architecture of the complex is in the Greek revival design, and vinyl siding resembling clapboard will cover the exterior. The typical condominium unit will include a living/dining room, bedroom, study, bath and kitchen.