Big Green icers look to springboard off Yale win

If ever there were a game that had the potential to energize a team and start them on a roll, the Dartmouth men's hockey team's win over Yale on Sunday would certainly qualify.

But the true test of whether the Big Green have indeed turned the corner and will be a real contender in the ECAC this year comes this weekend, when the Big Green skate at home in two more all-important conference games, against Clarkson and St. Lawrence.

The Green host the Clarkson Golden Knights tonight at Thompson Arena at 7:30 p.m. and face off against the St. Lawrence Saints tomorrow evening at 7 p.m.

Sunday's thrilling 4-3 win over the Bulldogs, the ECAC's top team, showed that on a good night, the Green can play with any team in the conference.

But the fact remains that the Green (5-6-3 overall, 2-6-1 ECAC, 10th place) are still tied for tenth place in the ECAC with five points. That can all change this weekend, for with the middle of the standings looking awfully crowded, Dartmouth has a shot at vaulting all the way to sixth or seventh with a couple of wins.

For the Green to come away happy this weekend, though, the squad will have to exorcise some ghosts and defeat two teams that have recently taken great pleasure in pummeling the Green. Dartmouth lost two out of three to St. Lawrence last year and both contests against Clarkson. During 1995-96, the Green went 0-4 against these two upstate North Country opponents.

But this may be the best chance the Big Green have to upend Clarkson and St. Lawrence in years. To begin with, Dartmouth comes in on a roll -- albeit a one-game win streak, but the win over Yale last week was the team's biggest of the season.

Furthermore, the Green have a big psychological edge, since the two games were originally scheduled to be on the road but were moved to Thompson. Power outages in Potsdam and Canton, N.Y. due to last weekend's big ice storm forced the last-minute switch in venue, which gives the Green these two unexpected games on their home ice.

Aside from these emotional advantages, the Green are facing two teams that, to put it bluntly, are not as good as they have been in years past. Clarkson (8-5-2 overall, 4-2-1 ECAC, 6th place) lost a plethora of talented seniors to graduation last year, and their All-American goalie Dan Murphy has struggled mightily to regain his top form this season.

St. Lawrence also lost several key players from last year's squad. Though the Saints have what ECAC-watchers are calling the best freshman class in the league, the youngsters are breaking in slowly, as evidenced by the squad's 3-11-1 overall record.

Tonight, the Big Green's key goal will no doubt be to neutralize Clarkson's top forward line of Yan Turgeon, Buddy Wallace, and captain Chris Clark.

NHL prospect Nick Windsor anchors the Golden Knights' defense, and Clarkson also boasts freshmen Willie Mitchell and Kent Huskins, both of whom have made immediate contributions this year.

In goal, a bit of a controversy has developed. While Murphy has logged most of the minutes, senior backup Chris Bernard has won all four of his starts. Either Murphy or Bernard could be between the pipes tonight.

Tomorrow night, the Saints (3-11-1 overall, 2-4-1 ECAC, 10th place) also could throw one of two goalies at the Big Green. Early in the season it appeared Jeremy Symington had won the starting job, but Eric Heffler's solid play of late has led Saints' Head Coach Joe Marsh to give him more minutes.

Returning forwards Paul DiFrancesco and Derek McLaughlin figure to cause the Green the most trouble.

For Dartmouth, Jason Wong '00 figures to be between the pipes to start the weekend, thanks to his solid play against Princeton and Yale last week. After off-season surgery and an early-season illness, Wong appears to have finally regained the form that buoyed him to seven wins in his freshman season last year.

The Green should also get a boost from the return to the lineup of Ryan Chaytors '99. Chaytors sat out the Yale game due to a fighting suspension. Other offensive players to watch for Dartmouth include Dave Whitworth '98, Jon Sturgis '98, and defenseman Scott Peach '99, who leads the team in goals with six.