Big Green Sports Weekend Previews

Men's Hockey:

New Head Coach Bob Gaudet's Big Green open up their home schedule at Thompson Arena this weekend when they face ECAC foes Cornell and Colgate on Friday and Saturday night respectively.

Dartmouth, who is 2-1 overall, is 1-1 in ECAC play after splitting last weekend's road-trip agsint RPI and Union. The Big Green struggled against pre-season favorite RPI, losing 7-1.

However, Dartmouth responded well the following night by blanking Union, 4-0, giving goaltender Eric Almon '00 his first shuout of the sesaon.

Saturday's game marks the beginning of the hockey team's holiday toy drive for kidsat DHMC. The team asks that fans bring a new, unopened toy to Thompson Arena prior to Saturday's game. Those fans are then eligible for a raffle that will include a team jersey, an autographed stick, and a Dartmouth sweatshirt. Winners will be announced during the game.

Women's Hockey:

The Big Green women icers are also in action at home this weekend as they kick off their 1997-1998 campaign with a key ECAC homestand against Brown and Providence.

Brown comes to Thompson Arena Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. followed by Providence at 3:00 on Sunday. Brown has been one of the top teams in the ECAC over the past few years and has consistenly given the Big Green problems, including a 12-2 loss to the Bears last season before beating them on home ice in the rematch.

Cross-Country:

The men's and women's cross-country teams head to Boston on Saturday to compete in the NCAA District Regional competiion. Competing against many top Big East teams, the squads must place in one of the top two spots to earn a trip to the NCAA National tournament. The women, who won the Ivy/Heptagonal championship two weeks ago, advanced a year ago.

Field Hockey:

The Big Green field hockey team will compete in the ECAC tournament this weekend this weekend at Rutgers.

The ECAC field includes the top four teams who weren't invited to the NCAA tournament. Dartmouth faces the University of New Hampshire in the first round and will attempt to avenge a 2-1 overtime loss to the Wildcats earlier this season. If the Big Green advance, they will face the winner of the Rutgers-Penn match on Sunday.

Women's Soccer:

After advancing via forfeit, the women's soccer team faces Penn in the second round of the ECAC tournament in Phladelphia tomorrow. Dartmouth lost 2-1 to Penn early in the season, and tied with the Quakers for second in the Ivy League, along with Yale, who is also in the tournament. The championship is on Sunday.