Tradition of rushing the field entices the daring few

Go to any football game this year -- pay special attention to tomorrow's match against Harvard -- and you will be sure to hear loud chants from the upperclassmen urging freshmen to "RUSH THE FIELD!!!"

But what does that mean? Where did the tradition originate? And why has it become one of the most controversial issues between the administration and the student body at Dartmouth?

Every year since 1986, at least one brave freshman has run onto the field to the delight of the crowd that cheers him or her on. But despite a moment in the spotlight, the stunt has its drawbacks -- almost every one who has rushed the field in recent years has been slapped with fines from the College and charges from the Hanover Police.

Members of the Class of 2001 thinking about continuing the tradition at tomorrow's Harvard game may be interested to learn where the idea of field rushing started, and why the College is so adamantly opposed to its practice.

The tradition begins

The practice of rushing the field has changed significantly from the time it debuted in the 1950s. It began as a show of class pride as freshmen filed onto the field at halftime to form their class numbers.

But throughout the '70s, freshmen, who lingered on the field during halftime, became increasingly rowdy.

In 1981, the problem became of immediate concern to the administration.

Instead of quietly filing onto the field, the freshmen in the Class of 1985 stormed down the West stands, across the field, and up into the East stands. In the ensuing chaos, a 15 year-old boy in a wheelchair was knocked over, according to a Safety and Security report of the incident.

In the following year, the new crop of freshmen circled the Harvard marching band at the traditional Harvard-Dartmouth game.

A turning point in the administration's policy towards rushing the field came when violence ensued at the 1985 Harvard game in Cambridge. Freshmen poured onto the field at halftime and delayed the start of the third quarter.

The following Saturday found the same group of freshmen rushing onto the field and into the East stands of Memorial Field, trampling an elderly lady in a wheelchair.

By the start of the 1986 football season, the Committee on Standards announced the official ban on the tradition that came to be known as rushing the field.

The College tried to establish an organized rush for the freshmen, but in 1986, freshmen again circled the Harvard band and ended the chance of a controlled activity at Homecoming.

Since the proclamation from the College, the tradition has faded -- but by no means disappeared. Though the numbers of freshmen who brave the run are much lower, every football season begins with the question, "Who's going to rush the field?"

While rushing has traditionally been a Homecoming event, many instances have occurred at regular home games and in particular, the Harvard-Dartmouth game.

Last year's Homecoming game against Yale was spiced by three members of the Class of 2000 who darted across the 30-yard line and escaped over a fence at the South end of the stadium. All three were eventually caught and faced fines from the College.

The tradition continues

This year's season has already witnessed two field rushers from the Class of 2001. Luke Gonzales '01 and David Chalmers '01 granted the upperclassmen their wish when they sprinted across the field in the second half of the Cornell game earlier this month.

Both were caught after a short chase during which a Hanover police car and a Safety and Security van were involved in separate minor accidents with uninvolved vehicles.

In a meeting with Dean of First Year Students Peter Goldsmith, Gonzales said he was told he is likely to receive a $100 fine and three terms of probation. In comparison, a student who is brought to Dick's House three times for intoxication receives the same penalty.

Gonzales said the penalty he has received will probably deter many others from rushing at this year's Homecoming.

Although many freshmen have congratulated him and have said they are going to rush the field this year as well, Gonzales said he "would be surprised if more than a few people did it."

The Rushers vs. The College

There is considerable controversy over the punishments given to field rushers, and the College's policy on the whole.

"The charges brought against them [Chalmers and Gonzales] are excessive," Barbara Loomis '99, said. "There is a place for every tradition here ... and it is sad that they [the administration] are destroying it."

The primary concern of the administration is indeed the safety issue. Although many have complained that those few individuals who rush the field usually cause no harm, College Proctor Bob McEwen says that having been at the games in the '80s has shown that something needs to be done to discourage the practice.

"There has to be some way to deal with this in an effective way to stop what has happened before," McEwen said. "From a safety standpoint it is something that has to be done and the institution has to take that stance."

At the football game tomorrow, both Safety and Security officers and the Hanover police will be on guard to monitor for rushers.

The Hanover police department will again staff the football game and work with Safety and Security in the event that someone does rush the field. But according to Chief Nick Giaccone of Hanover Police, no extra officers will be present even though it is the Homecoming game.

The College will be prepared to deal with possible offenders according to its own policy, but will hold out hope that no one decides to come down from the stands at this year's Homecoming game.

However, if the Cornell game is any proof, rushing the field is not about to simply fade away. It remains a challenge to each incoming freshman, and the entire school will be watching tomorrow to see who, if anyone, will be next.