Meningitis outbreaks rising, group warns

Dick's House decided last week to recommend that all students consider getting vaccinated against the bacteria that cause the potentially fatal disease meningitis, based on a recommendation from the American College Health Association, according to Director of Health Services Jack Turco.

The recommendation stems from an increase in the number of meningococcal cases reported: There have been 36 outbreaks since 1992, while there were only 13 between 1981 and 1993, according to a medical newsletter.

Meningococcal meningitis afflicts 2,600 Americans each year and is responsible for over 300 fatalities. A large proportion of those cases occur on college campuses. The disease is treatable if noticed early enough.

"It can afflict an otherwise healthy student," Turco said. "In a matter of 12 hours or more it could be fatal."

The vaccine protects against four meningococcal types, but not against type B, the culprit in a 1995 Dartmouth outbreak.

In that year, two freshmen were stricken with spinal meningitis, and meningococcus bacteria was found in a third student's blood.

Later that year, a senior contracted spinal meningitis just two days after shaking hands with President Bill Clinton at Commencement.

None of the cases proved fatal.

The vaccine costs $65, and its price tag may discourage students from getting vaccinated.

Most insurance plans do not cover vaccines.

Symptoms of meningococcal meningitis include a very high fever and severe headache.