GLB forum tackles tough issues

A panel of students moderated by English Professor Ricardo Ortiz last night recreated the Bill Maher television show "Politically Incorrect" in Collis Cafe as a forum to discuss issues related to the gay and lesbian community.

The four student panelists reacted to clips of the sit-com "Ellen" and shared their favorite off-color jokes, setting an informal atmosphere where issues could be openly discussed both with each other and among the audience of approximately 20 people.

After a brief introduction by Ortiz, the panel and audience watched a short segment of "Ellen" in which the main character deals with her own lesbian sexuality for the first time. Ortiz asked students whether thought the show was "too safe" in its dealing with the controversial topic, and panelists argued both sides of this question.

Students pointed out the inconsistent uses of terms like "gay" and "lesbian," and questioned whether the general public audience is more comfortable with male or female sexuality. For example Ortiz asked what would happen to viewership Jerry Seinfeld's character on "Seinfeld" were to come out of the closet like Ellen DeGeneres did.

Following the tone of the sit-com, panelists told their favorite off-color jokes, prompting a debate about the line between comedy and offensive material. Panelist Curran Stockwell '00 defended the jokes, asking whether comedians should have "to look over their shoulder every time they tell a joke."

On a more serious note, Ortiz pointed out that perhaps the right to draw a line can never be trusted to a large institution such as a university -- and that control should remain with the individual.

The group also listened to an introduction to a CD by pop artist Sandra Bernhard, in which she rejects an unwanted position as a role-model for the lesbian community, and then the floor was opened to questions from the audience.

Audience members tossed out jokes and comments -- many which tested the limits of political incorrectness -- but also asked serious questions of the panel and each other.

Panelists pointed out the lack of specific terms for gay/lesbian relationships, and offered such names from lover to partner to the original PILAF -- "Person-I-Am-Loving-And-Frolicking with."

One student set up a scenario, playing the role of a gay man being asked by a heterosexual friend about his sexuality, which pointed out the implications of the situation for both roles. A panelist admitted that if asked such a question he would immediately go on the defensive and reverse the question, an admission with which many audience members identified.

Ortiz, who recruited panelists and organized the evening, was pleased with its outcome, saying that he thought the audience "reached a kind of critical mass," where there were just enough people to keep the program alive but still informal.

He said "this is the type of thing which is not done at all in public at Dartmouth," and added he would like to see similar programs held on a more regular basis.

Although he plans to suggest this possibility to the Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance, he stresses that "politically incorrect" discussions need not be focused just on sexuality, but that many topics could benefit from such a forum.