Freshmen look forward to first Homecoming

People running like madmen around a 100-foot towering inferno? A sea of painted green faces descending on Memorial Field?

No, it's not the end of the world, it's Homecoming weekend, and for those who have never experienced it, the prospect of a three-day non-stop party elicits a wide range of reactions and responses.

While most freshmen said they plan to attend the major events like the Freshman Sweep and the Bonfire, many said they are unsure what to expect.

Matt Dattwyler '01 said he plans to "go with the flow and to attend as many events as possible."

"You can have a party anytime," Ali Rashid '01 said.

Mike Kelly '01, who began his homecoming activities early by helping to build the bonfire, said that upperclassmen, "knowing what's going to happen, have a reason to get really excited early," as opposed to freshmen who are unsure about the events occurring the upcoming weekend.

Another major theme of homecoming is tradition and the unification of the freshmen class with the upperclassmen.

Rachel Fink '01 said she sees it as "an initiation; a chance to feel more a part of Dartmouth."

Brian Richardson '01 said tradition is "the most played-up aspect of homecoming."

Most upperclassmen said they look back with fondness on their first Homecoming experiences.

Upperclassmen also said Homecoming becomes more of a chance to spend time with friends and less of a class activity after freshman year.

"The traditions at Homecoming were the first to make me realize that we were all Dartmouth students and that we were all in this together. It was an uplifting experience," Christine Chung '99 said.

Many upperclassmen describe homecoming as less of a structured activity and more of a wild party.

Dan Burke '01 said he had heard of this weekend's events, and Homecoming seems dangerous as well as fun.

He said he was advised by upperclassmen to "watch out -- that people got out of control during the weekend." He said he was also warned that some upperclassmen tried to push some freshmen into the fire.

Erica Ryu '98 advised this year's present class not to "get face burns during the bonfire or to fall over signs during Freshman Sweep and get trampled by hundreds of people."

Athletes point out the Homecoming spirit doesn't exist only at Dartmouth.

Sarah Hawlitt '98, a long-time member of the Cross-Country team said although "being on a team can take away from the whole Homecoming experience," even a victorious Homecoming weekend far from Hanover, can make team spirit "spill over."

Whatever the perceptions of Homecoming may be, it is certain to be a experience that will bond the members of the Class of 2001 to the College, and to each other.