Field hockey shuts down UVM

The Big Green field hockey team posted its first victory of the year playing in the middle of the week, dumping the University of Vermont 2-0 on Chase Field. The win was the second in a row for the stickers and was the first time Dartmouth posted back-to-back wins first since the Big Green defeated Towson and Pennsylvania five weeks ago in their first games of the season.

The Big Green improved to 8-4 this season while the Catamounts dropped to 3-10.

"The win yesterday was extremely important to keep the momentum going to reach our expectations as a team," Captain Sarah Sedgwick '98 said. Dartmouth sits in second place currently in the Ivy League.

"The midweek win was important because it was a win, and now we don't have a reputation for losing those games," goalkeeper Brittany D'Augustine '01 said.

Dartmouth took control of the game from the opening whistle and never let down, burying the Catamounts in the offensive end. Lauren Worley '99 opened up the scoring on the afternoon 11:19 left in the first half. Worley played give-and-go with Sedgwick at midfield and broke in alone on the left side of the Vermont goal before beating the Catamount goaltender to give Dartmouth a 1-0 lead.

The Big Green's insurance goal came less than four minutes later, when Kristen Leadbeater '00 netted her sixth goal of the season -- and fourth in four games -- off a scramble in front. Sedgwick picked up the assist on the goal.

"Being almost two thirds through our season, we are playing better now than we have all year. We are working together with a passing game like no other team I have played on," Sedgwick said.

"We are beginning to peak as a team which is essential to continue on to the playoffs. Even though yesterday seemed to be an offensive game it was a complete team effort starting from the defense. "

The defense's complete effort was capped off by D'Augustine, who notched her third shutout of the year by holding Vermont at bay, even though she only faced three shots. The Big Green outshot the Catamounts 18-3 and had a 23-2 advantage on penalty corners in the game.

"Considering I only had three saves, it was a team shut out, not mine," D'Augustine said.

"This team plays with a lot of confidence, and I don't think we've ever lost it this year. Everytime we step on the field, we expect to win."

"The game was a great display of team effort," Leadbeater said. "We came out strong, scoring two goals in the first half, and dominated the game from start to finish," she said. "It was great for us to win a game in the middle of the week and also for us to win two in a row.

Dartmouth is back in action on Saturday when Cornell comes to town. The contest is scheduled for 12 p.m. and will be played on Chase Field.

"Our next game to focus on is Cornell. We definitely are looking to rebound from a tough loss to them last year on their home field," Leadbeater said.

"To beat Cornell, we need to continue to set our tempo from the first whistle of the game. We need to create lots of scoring opportunities inside the circle and look to create good passing combinations in the midfield, like we did yesterday against Vermont."