Becker '00 hospitalized after fall

FRANCONIA -- Dan Becker '00 was listed in fair condition at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center yesterday following a near-deadly rock climbing accident on the Cannon Mountain ledges.

Becker, 19, of Phoenix, was treated at Littleton Hospital for head and spinal injuries, according to Maj. Ron Alie of the Fish and Game Department. He was later airlifted to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and was in fair condition with facial fractures and a head injury.

Becker was rescued in dramatic fashion by a doctor who rappelled to him while a National Guard pilot hovered his helicopter dangerously close to a boulder field for the pickup.

Alie said Becker was unconscious for about nine minutes, and even afterward was barely awake.

His climbing partner, Jon Waldman '00, of Chevy Chase, Md., was not injured.

The incident began about noon yesterday when Becker was setting his third pin on the Cannon Mountain ledges and the rock broke loose, Alie said.

Becker fell 40 feet past his second pin and Waldman, and another 40 to the first pin, and hit the ledge head first, Alie said.

Rescuers were able to lower Becker to a ledge, and Dr. Josh Boverman, who was among about 30 climbers on the sunny day, rappelled to Becker as he hung unconscious by his rope. Boverman, who left before anyone could find out where he lived, had a cellular phone and made one of the first calls to 911.

He assessed the injuries, told people on the ground what was needed. Boverman said it was OK to lower Becker the additional 75 feet to the edge of the boulder field at the base of the ledges, Lt. Rick Estes of Fish and Game said.

That's when helicopter pilot Maj. Frank Leith added to the drama.

Leith edged his copter to within a few feet of the boulders on an uphill pitch, the blades spinning, and hovered barely above the ground with one of the copter's two skids resting on a flat boulder.

The copter has a winch and cable to raise injured people, but with the wind drafts in Franconia Notch, it was decided coming in close was the safest way, Estes said.

''It was just like having the cavalry show up,'' Estes said. ''Certainly with Major Leith, we have absolute trust in his abilities.''

Alie also praised Leith as ''the hero of the day.''

''They did a superb job getting the copter in position to get this man out,'' Alie said.

Meanwhile, dozens of volunteers lined up on the loose boulders and passed Becker on a litter hand by hand some 200 yards to the copter. It took about 90 minutes. The copter arrived about 20 minutes later and Becker was rushed to the hospital.

With Leith in the copter were Chief Warrant Officer Bruce Gokey, Master Sgt. Dave Patch and Sgt. Jeff Lacoy.

The Mountain Rescue Service, the Upper Valley Wilderness Rescue team and Franconia Rescue also joined in the rescue.