Cowboys to reign over NFC East

Football in July? Well, if you are a football fanatic, you have Saturday marked as the beginning of the exhibition season as the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio between Minnesota and Seattle, kicks pre-season play off. Starting with today's look at the NFC East, the Dartmouth will preview all six divisions to get you caught up on the outlook of your favorite team. Today is a look at the once-proud but now troubled NFC East.

Dallas Cowboys

Predicted 1997 Record: 13-3

Although Green Bay may have claimed the title last year of best team in the NFC and as a result, Super Bowl champion, the Cowboys will fight the Packers for bragging rights this season.

As always, Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith will anchor the best backfield in football, a backfield that is protected by an impressive offensive line. The pairing of Michael Irvin, who should play a full season this year, and newcomer Anthony Miller gives Aikman his best receiving threats ever. Tight ends Eric Bjornson and first-round-pick David LaFleur both have the potential to be better than Jay Novacek.

The defense might be suspect with the retirement of Charles Haley and the suspension of Leon Lett, who will miss the first 14 games of the season . Linebackers will also be a weakness with the loss of Darin Smith, who is replaced by Fred Strickland. Cornerbacks Kevin Smith and Deion Sanders anchor a secondary that is the strength of the defense. Kicker Chris Boniol, lured away by the Eagles, leaves a gap at kicker that needs to be filled, most likely by a journeyman.

The only thing standing in the way of Super Bowl XXXII in San Diego is Green Bay, who Dallas faces the week before Thanksgiving.

Washington Redskins

Predicted 1997 Record: 9-7

After last year's phenomonal 7-1 start and horrendous 2-6 finish that kept them out of the playoffs, the Redskins will be looking for more consistency this year and to get into the playoffs for the first time in the Norv Turner era as head coach.

The offense remains the team's strength and should benefit from having played together last year. Quarterback Gus Frerotte seems firmly entrenched as the starter with Heath Shuler being shipped off to New Orleans, but if he should falter, Jeff Hostetler is a very capable backup that could start on many teams. Terry Allen had a Pro-Bowl season last year at tailback and is now earning the respect from defenses that he deserves. The key to the Redskins offense is whether or not Michael Westbrook can stay healthy at wide receiver to play opposite of Henry Ellard, who at 35 years old only seems to be getting better with age.

The defense got a boost when the secondary added two key free agents, cornerback Chris Dishman from the Oilers and safety Jesse Campbell of the Giants. Ken Harvey is one of the top pass rushers in the game abut the rest of the linebacking corps is just average.

The defensive line has young talent like Marc Boutte and Rich Owens, but tackle Sean Gilbert has been an underachiever. The Redskins need to improve in stopping the run, where they ranked last in the league in 1996.

Turner has enjoyed the longest tenure of any current coach without making the playoffs, a drought that should end this year.

Philadelphia Eagles

Predicted 1997 Record: 8-8

While the talent has been there, the chemistry has never been right in Veteran's Stadium. This team refuses to come together and reach its full potential, which could include a division title. Ray Rhodes' squad has reached the playoffs both years he has been at the helm, but if the team does not make the next step, expect Rhodes to be coaching somewhere else, most likely by his own choice.

Offensively, the Eagles found a gem when they signed Irving Fryar, who turned out to be the top receiver they expected him to be. Although the rest of the receivers are talented, the quarterbacks are not. Neither candidate for the job, Rodney Peete or Ty Detmer, should be starting in the NFL, although Detmer has the skills but not the size. Ricky Watters is superb at tailback but is always a headcase and has worn out his welcome in Philadelphia.

The Eagles are smarting from the loss of top pass rusher William Fuller, who signed with San Diego as a free agent. The defense will be good but not spectacular and will rely on the coaching staff to come up with an effective gameplan. Cornerback Bobby Taylor has emerged as a star and has the size to cover the larger receivers and shut them down. The addition of former Cowboy Boniol at kicker will help to improve the kicking game.

The Eagles have the players to contend but always seem to come apart at the seems during the season due to injuries or team strife. Unfortunately, neither quarterback is capable of leading this team to the playoffs, leaving the Eagles on the outside looking in.

Arizona Cardinals

Projected 1997 Record: 7-9

Arizona could surprise a lot of people this season, or disappoint many fans in the desert who may be expecting too much.

The team has talent in key areas but lacks leadership as they turn the ball over to Kent Graham at quarterback. Vince Tobin has laid a strong foundation on defense that will make the team competitive in almost any game.

The Cardinals have a blue-collar offense that often sputters as evidenced by seven games last year where they scored 13 or fewer points. Receivers Rob Moore and Frank Sanders solidify the wide-out position and Larry Centers is the best fullback in the game.

But the question makr is on the offensive line where there is really no talent and at quarterback. Graham beat out Boomer Esaison last year to earn the starting nod this season but must look over his shoulder at Jake Plummer, a second-round pick who was a local hero at Arizona State.

Five first-round draft picks are the core of a solid Cardinals defense. Eric Swann and Simeon Rice give pressure up front while Jamir Miller and Eric Hill are solid in the linebacking spots. Aeneas Williams is one of the top five cornerbacks in the game.

Playing in a weak division and against a very weak schedule should benefit the Cardinals in the win category, but this team is still a year away from competing.

New York Giants

Projected 1997 Record: 4-12

New head coach Jim Fassel walks into a situation with little talent and a team full of underachievers. This could be a very long year in the Meadowlands and the five boroughs.

The hope is that new head coach Jim Fassel will re-tool quarterback Dave Brown's game and revive the Giants' passing game that was ranked last. The passing game will improve; when backup Danny Kanell takes the job from Brown sometime in October. With Rodney Hampton slowing down at tailback, Tyrone Wheatley must prove he can live up to his college potential. Receiver Ike Hilliard should be a playmaker on a team sorely needing big plays. The offensive line is woeful.

On the other side of the ball there is little hope either. The defensive line and linebackers are adequate at best. Jason Sehorn is a promising young cornerback and Philippi Sparks is solid at the other corner: Combined they are the only bright spots on defense.

Fassel 's squad will improve, but probably not for a couple of years.