Jewelry store robbery remains unsolved

At the end of Spring term, the campus and town of Hanover were blooming with flowers and burglaries.

Hanover Police are still investigating the May 24 armed robbery of the Ward Amidon Jewelry Store on Main St., Hanover Police Detective Sergeant Frank Moran said.

Moran said they have been able to obtain artist's sketches of the two unmasked men who robbed the store at gunpoint.

"The people have not been identified yet," he said. "There's a pretty decent reason to believe these guys aren't local."

Moran said the Hanover Police have been "trying to circulate information to law enforcement agencies both in and out of state" in hopes of "matching up our crime with those of any other agencies."

He said the fingerprints have also been sent to the crime lab for analysis, but there are no results at this point.

Another burglary occurred at Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity on June 2, when Josh Winterhalt '97 was arrested and charged with burglary, a Class B felony.

Hanover Police Captain Chris O'Connor said witnesses saw Winterhalt force his way into Sig Ep, and later leave, carrying a keg.

Winterhalt was also charged with criminal mischief for damaging the property of the Hanover Police while he was in custody, O'Connor said.

At his arraignment earlier this month, Winterhalt pled guilty to the charge of criminal mischief and was ordered to pay restitution to the police department, in addition to a fine of $150, O'Connor said.

The state subsequently dismissed the felony charge, choosing instead to charge Winterhalt with criminal trespassing, a Class A misdemeanor which brings a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a $1,000 fine, O'Connor said.

Winterhalt was released from jail on $500 bail and his trial for the new charges is scheduled for July, O'Connor said.

Winterhalt could not be reached for comment last night.

In a bizarre theft in A Lot, Russell Cornell '97 lost his car tires.

He said he received a call from Safety and Security in the early morning hours of May 23 telling him they had found his car on concrete blocks in A Lot.

Moran said the thieves had jacked up the car, stolen the tires and left it on the blocks.

Cornell said he was surprised to hear the thieves had taken his tires.

"It is weird because I have a good alarm on it," he said. "I had my motion detector turned way down so it wouldn't give lots of false alarms."

Cornell said the Hanover Police were there when he arrived and were able to get a good set of prints from the crime scene.

But Moran said they are still "trying to follow potential leads" and have not yet recovered the tires nor discovered the thieves.