Finnish Prime Minister Lipponen '64 to deliver address

Despite being the head of state of a country thousands of miles away, this year's Commencement speaker has always held Dartmouth close to his heart.

Finnish Prime Minister Paavo Lipponen '64, who College President James Freedman says is one of Dartmouth's most prominent living alumni, will deliver the keynote address to the Class of 1997 this morning at the College's 227th Commencement ceremonies.

Lipponen, who will also receive an honorary doctor of laws degree, spent the 1960-61 academic year at the College as an exchange student. Since he matriculated with the freshman Class of 1964, the College considers him an alumnus and a member of that class.

According to Freedman, Lipponen is the only Dartmouth graduate who is the head of state of a country.

Lipponen was elected prime minister of Finland in April 1995 and has been chairman of the country's Social Democratic Party since 1993. He is a leader in the effort to forge a new European monetary union and has won acclaim for beginning to lead Finland out of an economic crisis thought by many to be the worst experienced by any Western European country in the last 50 years.

Freedman told The Dartmouth last month that Lipponen is "a person of very significant achievement" and someone who has had an admirable career, first as a journalist and then in public service.

Although today may appear to be a homecoming of sorts for the prime minister of Finland, Lipponen was actually at the College less than two years ago -- in November, 1995 -- to deliver a speech about his support for a strong, united Europe.

His address focused on the European Union, and Lipponen said at that time that a strong EU was critical to maintaining European peace and security. He said he supported the addition of Russia, Finland's neighbor, to the union.

Lipponen has not only been an advocate for a united Europe, he has also established Finland as a major player in determining the future direction of the European continent through his assertive leadership.

He has rapidly gained a reputation as an atypical politician, because he appears easygoing but has little time for small talk.

One Finnish publication said Lipponen does not "waste time on empty talk. Instead, he gets straight to the point and stays there."

While at the College in 1960-61, Lipponen studied American prose and philosophy. In his remarks in November 1995, Lipponen said he formulated a deep interest in foreign affairs during his year at the College.

He said he decided to study at Dartmouth because he was fluent in English and was interested in international relations.

Lipponen lived in Cohen residence hall, was a member of the swimming team and served food and worked in the kitchen at Thayer Dining Hall to finance his education at the College.

Before Lipponen became prime minister of Finland, he had a long career of service to the Social Democratic Party. He started as a research secretary in 1971 and went on to become secretary to the prime minister.

He held office in the Finnish parliament from 1983-87 and won re-election in 1991 before becoming chairman of the Social Democrats in 1993.

Before his political career, Lipponen was a journalist, first as a student at Helsinki University and later as a freelance reporter for the Finnish Broadcasting Corporation.

Lipponen was born in Turtola, Finland in 1941.

This marks the second time in the past four years that an alumnus delivers the keynote Commencement address to the senior class. In 1994, then-U.S. Labor Secretary Robert Reich '68 was the featured Commencement speaker.

In addition, Lipponen's appearance marks the second time in the past six years that the College has gone outside America to find its Commencement speaker. In 1992, former Costa Rican President Oscar Arias Sanchez was the keynote speaker.

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author David Halberstam delivered a highly acclaimed Commencement address last year, and President Bill Clinton delivered the keynote Commencement address in 1995.