June 21, 2024 | Latest Issue

Ward Amidon robbed at gunpoint

The Ward Amidon Jewelry Store on Main St. was robbed at gunpoint Saturday afternoon by two unmasked men who threatened the clerks and escaped with jewelry and cash.

No shots were fired and there were no injuries reported.

The two female clerks called the Hanover Police shortly after the robbery at 3 p.m., approximately at the store's closing time. No customers were present when the store was robbed. The men fled through the back door to the parking lot behind Fleet Bank.

Store owner Katie Goode could not be reached for comment.

After the police received the call, officers unsuccessfully scouted the surrounding streets -- including Wheelock St., Maple St., and School St. -- and asked passers-by if they had seen the robbers.

Police also conducted door-to-door interviews with local businesses.

Police have not identified either suspect by name.

One of the suspects in the robbery is described as a 5-foot-3 slender-built man with short dark hair and brown eyes. According to police, he was wearing plaid shirt and khaki pants with a white belt. He was also reported to have spoken with a "Brooklyn accent."

The second man is described as a six-foot-tall, thinly-built, red-haired man wearing a black linen suit and colored tie.

Both men were in their 20s, police said.

Hanover Police Sergeant Chris O'Connor told the Valley News there was minimal damage to the store, and he said he expects the store to reopen on Tuesday. The police have asked neighboring police departments in Vermont and Lebanon to be on the lookout for the suspects.

This is the second armed robbery that has occurred in Hanover this term. In March, a woman was mugged at gunpoint on West Wheelock street. A suspect in that case is now in police custody.

In a case of mistaken identity, two Dartmouth students matching the descriptions of the robbery suspects were stopped by Lebanon police officers just south of Mink Brook on Route 10 in Hanover.

Mikael Morn '97 and Mark Oldham '99 were heading to Sachem Village on a motorcycle around 4:20 p.m. on Saturday when a Lebanon police car barricaded the road before them.

"This cop asked us to stop and get off our bike," Morn said. "They said there was a robbery in Hanover and we fit the descriptions." Morn speaks with a Finnish accent and Oldham has red hair.

Morn said the officer asked him about his accent, because one of the suspects sounds like he is from Brooklyn.

"We had no idea what he was talking about," Morn said. "I'm from Finland."

The officers searched Morn and Oldham and the motorcycle for weapons and stolen jewelry, Morn said.

Morn said the officers held them for about 20 minutes until a clerk from the jewelry store came to the sight and said they were not the pair who robbed the store.