Alleged panty thief to face plea hearing

Jacob Hunter, 51, of Walpole, who told police his "lifestyle" included the stealing of women's underwear, possessed a handwritten list of attractive women and two directories and photographs of students at the Tuck School of Business.

Hunter will face a plea and sentencing hearing May 27 for the charge of felony burglary.

The police discovered duffel bags full of panties, 215 guns, 300 cameras and camping equipment during a search at Hunter's home last August. The panty thief suspect told police he entered homes with keys left hidden outside by residents.

The police also found a handwritten list of 203 women, some with addresses. Hunter told police the list includes attractive women he saw in the newspaper. Some of the names had asterisks next to them.

In addition to newspaper clippings of attractive women, Hunter was in possession of a directory of women who are students at the Tuck School, Sullivan County Attorney Marc Hathaway said.

Tuck women said they are horrified by the prospect they may have been targets of a panty thief.

Kim Melchionda Tuck '98, who said she usually keeps her door unlocked, now plans to keep an eye out for future thefts.

"That's crazy, that's horrible, that's disgusting," Rachael Hannah Tuck '98 said, after hearing about Hunter's alleged crime. Hannah said she is not missing any underwear.

Several Tuck women said the news of Hunter's arrest has made them feel less safe in small-town New Hampshire.

One Tuck '97, who said she wished to remain anonymous to protect herself from being targeted, said she was concerned about her security.

The Tuck '97 said Hunter's alleged crimes "conjure up memories of serial killers," and said she thinks Hunter's actions could have potentially "escalated to a more physical crime."

Other Tuck students are not so concerned.

"[Underwear theft] is not an act of sexual violation," a different Tuck woman said.

Hunter's arrest makes Julie Moore Tuck '97 feel "a little uneasy," but she said she does not plan to "walk around looking behind at every shadow."

Some students said their panties might not meet the standards of underwear thieves with discriminating tastes.

Andre Roberts Tuck '98, Melchionda's roommate, was not as worried about having her underwear stolen.

Melchionda "has all this designer print stuff," Roberts said. "They wouldn't want my underwear."

"I have been missing underwear recently, but I'm always losing underwear ... I have very unattractive underwear that no one would steal," another Tuck '98 said.

Hunter's felony burglary charges are class B felonies and each is punishable by a three and one-half to seven year prison sentence or $4,000 fine.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.