Trustees examine DDS budget

At its spring meeting this weekend, the Board of Trustees will focus on student life, faculty tenure and the College's physical plant, College President James Freedman said.

The Board's quarterly meeting began yesterday evening with a meeting of the Committee on Student Affairs and will continue through Saturday.

Trustee Chairman Stephen Bosworth '61 said the Board will simply "be talking about the normal flow of events and business this weekend. There's nothing dramatic."

He said four of the Board's standing committees, which deal with student affairs, alumni affairs, development and the medical school, will meet this weekend and present their findings.

The Dartmouth College Board of Trustees consists of 14 elected Trustees -- seven by the alumni and seven by the Board itself -- the president of the College and the governor of New Hampshire.

Bosworth is in charge of formulating the Board's agenda for the weekend in conjunction with Dean of the College Lee Pelton and Freedman.

Freedman said the discussions may focus specifically on the Greek system and the plans for the upcoming construction of Berry library.

The Board will also officially approve newly-elected Alumni Trustee Nancy Kepes Jeton '77 -- who will replace Trustee Joseph Mathewson '55 in July -- and approve tenured faculty and endowed faculty chairs.

The Student Assembly, however, hopes to bring more pressing issues to the Board's attention this weekend.

Assembly Vice President Chris Swift '98 said he and Assembly President Jon Heavey '97 discussed the current Dartmouth Dining Services situation with the Trustees' Committee on Student Affairs in their meeting yesterday afternoon.

Swift said he and Heavey urged the Trustees "to encourage the administration to work with" them to develop a variety of options to the proposed declining balance account hike.

The Trustees need to realize that students want to have an "active voice in what's going on," Swift said.

Pelton's Social Life Task Force was also present, and they presented the results of their survey of social life.

Case Dorkey '99, a member of the task force, said the meeting was "very productive," and the Trustees were quite receptive to student input, even though they were not initially aware of the full implications of the DDS issue.