Students' pilfering plagues DDS

Although profit losses from food theft are only a tiny part of Dartmouth Dining Service's $600,000 a year financial woes, DDS has posted new signs in Food Court warning students of the penalties of eating without paying.

Food Court Grill Chef Rebecca Waters said employees see food theft "constantly." A common way students steal food is by eating it while they are in line for grill items. Students eat pizza while waiting for food from the grill, or eat one grill item while waiting for another one that takes longer to cook, Waters said.

"You always see empty plates lying around," left by students who ate before making it to the cash register, Food Court Employee Rahsaan Sales '99 said.

He said he often sees people eating frozen yogurt and salad -- which are priced by weight -- before they pay for it.

"They don't even realize it," Waters said. "They order their food, then get their salad and stand there and eat it while they wait."

Another form of DDS thievery is refilling drinks -- also a common occurrence, Waters said. She said the most common types of stealing she sees are with "grab me" foods like drinks, desserts and salad bar items.

"It all adds up," she said.

Waters said Food Court has security cameras to catch thieves in action, and when employees notice students consuming food without paying, they alert the cashiers.

Associate Director of Dining Services Tucker Rossiter said the new signs in Food Court are just "friendly reminders" not to steal food from the dining halls. He said DDS periodically replaces old signs about theft.

Collis Cafe has a large permanent sign warning students not to steal, Rossiter said.

Rossiter said he has no way of knowing just how much money DDS loses to food theft each year.

Student Assembly Vice President Chris Swift said the amount lost to food theft is almost insignificant compared to the total amount -- $600,000 -- that will be lost this year, and is not a major source of loss.

Rossiter said theft is "certainly a contributing factor" to DDS's financial woes, but "to say it is a large part is speculation and pointing a finger without knowing."

Food theft is not the only form of stealing causing DDS to lose money, Rossiter said. He said DDS replaces about $40,000 worth of silverware and trays each year.

The lost silverware "either ends up in dorms or other places or on the Green," he said. "It just doesn't make its way back to Thayer."

Rossiter said DDS has tried different tactics to recover missing silverware and trays, such as asking custodians around campus to notify them if they see dining services items around campus.

"Fraternities and places nearby sometimes come in with loads of stuff" to return to Thayer, he said. "People don't always intend not to take it back."

He said DDS can put up signs reminding people to use takeout containers to remove food from the dining halls, but they cannot remind people at the door who try to get out with a tray.

Rich Parent '99, who works at the register at the all-you-can-eat Westside Buffet, said students who frequent Westside "are respectful" of the rule prohibiting the removal of food from the premises.

He said most people leave their backpacks at the door, and he has not noticed many people stealing food.