Senior citizens find happy home at Kendal

There is more than one Hanover institution that boasts bright, energetic inhabitants, a long wait-list and constant intellectual and social activity. Kendal, a not-for-profit continuing care retirement community located just a few minutes from campus on Lyme Road, bears many of the same qualities as Dartmouth -- and in some ways is even more exclusive.

The institution that is home to about 370 senior citizens opened its doors in 1991 and is in very high demand. According to Kendal's Director of Admissions Shirley Page, the wait to gain entrance into the retirement community ranges from one to 10 years.

English Professor Peter Bien, who is on Kendal's waiting list, was instrumental in bringing Kendal to Hanover.

According to Bien, the idea for a retirement community arose at a Quaker meeting in town several years ago.

The group soon joined forces with the Quaker-affiliated Kendal Corporation in Pennsylvania, and the Kendal retirement community opened its doors in 1991. The institution is financially independent and has its own governing board.

Though Kendal "reflects Quaker values" Page said it is not a religious organization, and residents of all religious denominations are accepted.

'An extraordinary experiment'

Bien characterized Kendal as "an extraordinary social experiment, which is a very carefully thought out way to deal with the last third of life."

According to Bien, senior citizens are urged to move in while they are relatively young and healthy, so that Kendal is "not just an old people's home."

Most Kendal residents live independently in apartments or cottages. Those who require more care live in the assisted living or skilled nursing areas.

All living spaces are connected to the main building and health center by covered walkways for easy access.

There is no social director, and almost all activities are resident-initiated. Recently, a piano recital, folk dancing, movies, worship services and a lecture by College English Professor William Cook and various other activities were scheduled in the span of just a week.

The residents are very well-educated -- over three-quarters have at least a bachelor's degree.

There was once an exhibition of books written by residents, and "we almost didn't have room" for all of them, Bien said.

Committees and clubs abound at the retirement community. For instance, the Flower Decorating Committee makes sure that the facilities are always decorated with beautifully arranged fresh flowers.

Others staff and run Kendal's library. And the "Louisa's Knitters" group knits lap robes and baby clothes to donate to Hannah's House, a local women's shelter, and the Listen Center, according to resident Sarah Sapir Eisen.

Kendal residents also give a lot back to the community. "Last year they put in over 12,000 hours of community service," Page said.

Nor is personal wellness neglected. In addition to a fitness room and aerobics classes, there is an indoor pool. Similar to Dartmouth students, the residents must pass a two-and-a-half lap swim test before they can use the pool.

Other amenities of Kendal include an art studio, woodshop, weaving room, full-service dining room, library, daycare center for the children of Kendal employees, Hilde's beauty salon, computer lab, clinic, Citizens Bank branch and gift shop.

But there is at least one amenity that Kendal residents are not guaranteed -- in keeping with Quaker values, no alcohol is served in the full-service, waitered dining room. This has fostered somewhat of a debate among the members, some of whom care for a drink or two with their dinner.

Fostering independence

Kendal residents are treated with dignity and respect. A Kendal program, Untie the Elderly, ensures that no physical or pharmaceutical restraints are used on the sicker residents. This is why there are no "zombies strapped into their wheelchairs," according to Bien.

The retirement community has a very non-institutional feel. Nurses, for instance, do not wear uniforms, and residents bring their own furniture to decorate their rooms, which creates a homier atmosphere.

The residents are an outgoing, enthusiastic bunch who genuinely enjoy life at Kendal. Eisen, who said she likes Kendal "very much," advised, "Move in when you're 65."

Resident Pamela Phipps added, "The intangibles, like the sense of community and the variety, are so great."

Residents cited the well-rounded population as an attractive quality of this retirement community.

According to Bien, there are four former college presidents from Lebanon College, Middlebury College, Radcliffe College and Wellesley College. The retired chair of the New York Stock Exchange and the former United States ambassador to Sri Lanka also reside at Kendal. Former New Hampshire governor Lane Dwinell '28 died at Kendal this March.

The Dartmouth connection to Kendal is strong. Ten percent are Dartmouth alumni, and 38 percent have some connection to Dartmouth, whether through family ties or their careers. "People who are Dartmouth-connected are very proud of the connection," Page said.

Current Dartmouth students interact with Kendal residents through the Kendal Rockefeller Intergenerational Committee -- which organizes luncheons once a term where students and retirees mingle and discuss specific topics.

Kendal residents take advantage of the proximity to the College and attend many cultural events on campus. Also, the Institute for Lifelong Education at Dartmouth program offers adult education campus courses in Dartmouth Hall or at Kendal.

Kendal's quality care is not without a price, though. Housing ranges from $78,000 for a studio apartment to $280,000 for a two-bedroom cottage. Monthly fees at Kendal range from $1,500 to $3,500.

According to Page, this price includes "full-life care" and residents need to pay for very little else out of pocket.

However, the institution has a growing endowment called the Cadbury Fund.

The money in this fund is now used mainly to "assist residents who are already here," according to Page. Most of the money comes from current residents, "who are taking care of their own," Page said.