Passover observance begins today

Sundown tonight marks the beginning of the eight-day Jewish holiday of Passover, and many members of the College's Jewish population, which comprises 10 percent of the student body, will observe the occasion by attending Seders and refraining from eating leavened bread.

Passover is the annual remembrance of the Jewish people's liberation from slavery in Egypt. The holiday centers around the seder, the Passover dinner which takes place the first and second nights. Dishes served at the seder represent the experiences of the Jewish people during their flight.

Jews also observe Passover by refraining from eating leavened bread, in remembrance of their ancestors who fled Egypt and did not have time to allow their bread to rise.

Tucker Foundation Administrative Assistant Marilyn Sturman said Hillel, the College's organization for Jewish students, is sponsoring two public seders on Monday and Tuesday evenings at the Dartmouth Outing Club House for students and community members, and she expects at least 150 people to attend on Monday.

Hillel President Shirley Sperling '98 said the first seder will be led by College Rabbi Daniel Siegel and the second will be led by students and community leaders.

Sturman said Hillel will also prepare kosher-for-Passover meals on Friday and Saturday nights at the Dartmouth Outing Club house for first-year family weekend.

Approximately 75 people are expected for each night of first-year family weekend, and Friday night's meal will be combined with Hillel's regular Shabbat service, Sturman said.

"Food will be strictly kosher-for-Passover and brought up from Boston," Sturman said. "And there will be kosher-for-Passover eating available at Hillel throughout the week."

Dartmouth Dining Services sometimes offers matzoh, a cracker-like unleavened bread substitute, in its facilities during Passover, Sperling said. She said Collis Cafe may serve kosher-for-Passover meals this week.

"In the past, DDS has not been too supportive -- they have had a little bit of matzoh, that's it," Sperling said. "But Hillel provides food for Passover" and students can use their Declining Balance Accounts to purchase it.

Naomi Wernick '97 said the Hillel House is a trek from campus, but it provides food for Jewish students throughout the week who want it.

"It would be nice if there were a few other options with DDS, but I can understand how it would be difficult" for DDS to provide alternative meals for a week, she said.

Sturman said local stores have displays of Passover food, but she is not aware of any restaurants in the area serving kosher-for-Passover meals this week.

According to Sturman, many students go home for Passover, "especially since it is a Monday night making it a long weekend."

Sperling went home for Passover to see her brother who is home from Israel, but she said not many students were able to go home this year because this week is the beginning of midterms.