Conference examines Native studies

In celebration of 25 years at the College, the Native American Studies Program hosted a conference of professors from all over the United States and Canada to look for new directions in native studies.

The conference explored what native studies programs "could and might do," said conference Chair Colin Calloway, professor of history and Native American studies.

The conference opened Friday morning with a welcome from Calloway, followed by an address from Duane Champagne of the University of California at Los Angeles on "The State of Native American Studies in the United States."

Next, David Newhouse of Trent University in Ontario, Canada, spoke on native studies programs in Canada. He discussed the native studies program at Trent, which includes faculty from various native tribes with no "formal" credentials, Calloway said.

K. Tsianina Lomawaima of the University of Arizona then gave a speech on the development of Ph.D. programs in Native American Studies.

Other speakers on Friday included Jane Mt. Pleasant of Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., Andrea Bear Nicholas of St. Thomas University in New Brunswick, Canada and Judith Antell of the University of Wyoming, Laramie.

On both days, speeches were followed by discussion.

The Native American House sponsored a dinner and social evening on Friday for participants, invited guests and Native American Dartmouth students.

The Conference came to a close with a luncheon in Collis Center.