Supercluster faculty step down

East Wheelock Cluster Faculty Associates Marianne Hirsch and Leo Spitzer announced yesterday they intend to step down from their positions after this academic year to devote more time to teaching and research.

History Professor Spitzer and Hirsch, a professor in the French and Italian department, currently reside in the faculty associate house adjacent to the Supercluster with their eighth-grade son.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said when the faculty associate position was developed last year, he had originally discussed a two- to three-year commitment with Hirsch and Spitzer.

"But we agreed that if their personal circumstances were such that they could only stay in that position for one year, that would be fine with me," Pelton said. "They have a number of academic commitments they want to fulfill."

Both Spitzer and Hirsch stressed they had full confidence in the East Wheelock program and its future success -- and that they would not be stepping down otherwise.

Spitzer, who has been at the College for 30 years, will become the College's Kathe Tappe Vernon Professor in July.

"We're going to devote more time to teaching and research," Hirsch said. "The rest of life doesn't recede into the background as you take on a new responsibility."

She said both she and Spitzer are in the process of editing books they have written and are also both becoming involved in other research projects.

Hirsch is studying Holocaust memories of second-generation survivors, and Spitzer is working on a comparative study of refugee identities.

Hirsch said she and Spitzer used to live out in the country in Vermont, and while they sometimes miss it, "it is very nice to be able to run into students ... and I have loved being able to have students over."

Pelton said the College will immediately begin to identify faculty members to fill the faculty associate positions for the fall, looking primarily at "faculty who are tenured and who have an interest in student life."

Professors can apply for the position or can be nominated by students or other faculty members, he said.

According to Pelton, the position of faculty associate has some attractive benefits for professors, including half-time release from teaching responsibilities, a nicely furnished house and a small, modest stipend.

"There are a number of faculty who already spend a lot of time with students outside of the classroom," he said. "For some faculty this could be an extension of what they already do and reward them in ways they are not currently rewarded."

But he said the position's desirability would depend on "where one is in terms of a career."

East Wheelock Area Coordinator Brian Patel '97 said Hirsch and Spitzer have been quite visible in the cluster, attending most programs and hosting events in their home.

He said they also hold office hours and can sometimes be seen in Brace Commons during the day.

Patel added he thinks the East Wheelock program is working well, and thinks it will "keep moving in the right direction even with new faculty."