Students hunt for eggs, rides home for Easter

This Easter weekend in Hanover, it's business as usual for non-Christian students, though many Christian members of the community said they would be attending religious services in the Upper Valley or celebrating with friends and family.

Some students said they were too busy to take a day off to celebrate Easter -- the holiday that marks the celebration of Jesus Christ's resurrection.

Although her family always observes the holiday, Sara Bauer '99 said she "wasn't planning on doing anything" special this weekend.

Sandy, an employee at Dartmouth Mini Coach, said only a few more students are escaping from the cold and snow this weekend than usually do.

She said students may hesitate to return home because "it's just after Spring Break."

But others resolved to get away from Hanover to be with their families.

"This is the first time I'm going away for Easter," said Gabby Novo '99, who plans to visit her family in New York this weekend.

Jonathan Taylor '00 said he planned to spend Easter skiing with his family in Maine.

Most of the 66 percent of the student body identifying themselves as Christians said they will attend services today -- Good Friday -- and Easter Sunday.

Rasha Moser '00, who does not usually attend mass, said he will attend church on Sunday "because it's Easter." Teresa Knoedler '00 also said she does not attend mass on a regular basis but will be this weekend.

English Professor Alan Gaylord said he and his wife will attend mass at the First Congregation Church in Lebanon, where his wife is the minister of music and he sings in the choir.

Many Hanover residents plan to attend mass at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, which will host a service for the area's congregations, said Jan Thomas, a secretary at the church.

Students are also getting involved in the festivities through the Tucker Foundation, where they are preparing for Easter Sunday's 5 a.m. sunrise service.

Although most Dartmouth students tend to have problems waking up early enough to watch the sun rise, some said they planned to sacrifice sleep for worship.

Elizabeth Wald '00 said she planned to attend the early morning service at Rollins Chapel.

Although she is spending the holiday away from home, Wald said that was no excuse to forget her family's traditions.

"My parents made Easter baskets and put candy in them," she said. "I brought them up with me."

In addition to Easter candy, students can also look forward to Aquinas House's noon Easter Egg hunt.

Yet students at the College are not the only ones who plan to have fun at Easter Egg hunts this weekend.

The Dartmouth Alliance for Children of Color, Delta Sigma Theta sorority and Cutter-Shabazz Hall are sponsoring an "Easter Eggstravaganza" for the area's children of color, Nana Ashong '99 said.

The town of Hanover also hosted an Easter Egg hunt and contests for local children last weekend, Assistant Director of the Hanover Community Center Christine Vitale said.

She said the Dartmouth community got involved in the festivities when Kristen Wilson, wife of Dean of the College Lee Pelton, volunteered to be a judge in one of the competitions.