NBC still dominates television

The latest survey of prime-time television ratings re-affirm NBC's stranglehold on America's prime time television.

A recent report compiled by the Neilson Media Research Company shows "Seinfeld" reigning solidly over prime time programming, it's power derived from an average weekly rating of 18.6.

One television rating point translates into 970,000 households whose television sets were tuned to the program at some point during it's duration. A staggaring 18 million televisions were tuned to NBC on Thurday to catch "Seinfeld."

"Seinfeld" is not alone at the top -- other NBC shows such as "Friends," "Suddenly Susan" and "The Naked Truth" help comprise the four most watched shows in the U.S..

Of the twenty highest rated programs, NBC runs 10, these programs falling into a range of different categories. NBC's legal serial "Law & Order" and its primary news show "Dateline NBC" both help to build a solid foundation for the NBC lineup that is largely dominated by sitcoms.

NBC's emergence as leader of the industry was jump-started by its revolutionary satire of mundane existance, "Seinfeld," which premiered almost eight years ago."Seinfeld" found itself in the top ten of prime-time ratings almost immediately after its debut in 1989 and continues to dominate the charts, dragging the programs in the surrounding time slots with it.

Throughout its eight seasons, the "show about nothing," as it is frequently labeled, has picked up more awards than any other prime time show, among which are various Emmys, Golden Globes and the prestigous Peabody Award for best television.

Riding out an audience slump five seasons ago, the writers of the show managed to revive its faltering standings with more timely humor. In the 1995-1996 season, "Seinfeld" achieved a record average seasonal rating of 21.2.

What is the recipe for NBC's success? Trendy, up to date sitcoms that feature recognizeable personalities and punchy humor.

Brooke Shields stars in "Suddenly Susan," the surprise hit sitcom which centers on a struggling journalist at a trendy magazine. Quick jokes, espresso machines and short skirts create an atmosphere viewers apparently respond to.

"Friends," which once held the number one rating, slumped in a distant second to "Seinfeld" in past weeks with a rating of 15.1, while its seasonal rating falls into a disapointing fifth.

Once the most popular program on television, "Friends" has slipped out of favor with viewers in the last season and a half, suffering at the hands of "Seinfeld's" regained success and their own exhaustion of comedic material.

Despite the constant shifting of rating positions among NBC's programs, they still remain enormously succesful compared to other networks. Studios such as CBS fail to duplicate the formula which NBC has mastered.

CBS's main competition, "Cybill," barely made it into the ratings last week and made a poor showing in a meager 18th place. Even the well known Cybill Shepard is not able to pull off a successful show despite the use of the NBC receipe. Placing a well known celebrity in world of modern considerations worked well in NBC's "Suddenly Susan" but failed in CBS's "Cybill."

Whatever the secret, NBC still looms steadily at the top, eclipsing the work of other networks who are struggling to get their heads above water.