Winokur '99 has winning touch

Her name says it all. Andra "Win"okur. And win she has. All 13 of her squash matches in the regular season, to be exact.

First picking up a racket at age 10, squash was an alternative to the other winter sports that Winokur didn't like.

Coming from a field hockey and lacrosse background in high school at Greenwich Academy in Connecticut, squash was always just a winter sport for her.

Lacking direction and competition on her high school squash team, Winokur relied on her natural athletic ability to get her through her matches.

It wasn't until she came to Dartmouth that she began to hone her skills. And hone her skills she has.

In her first season playing for the Big Green, Winokur played out of the eighth spot, posting a 9-4 record. This year the sophomore is playing at six and is letting her record speak for itself.

"Squash is so mental. Last year, I psyched myself out," Winokur said.

But coming into this season, Winokur had a new resolve. "I realized I had no need to feel inferior ... Mentally I'm a lot stronger."

Winokur's teammate and friend Laurie Sykes '99 made the same observations in Winokur's game, citing fresh confidence as the main difference in her play.

"She still had the same great attitude last year that she possesses this year, but she really has the confidence now to go along with that drive," Sykes said.

"Many people get intimidated by older, more experienced players but Andra has learned to focus on her game and her will to win instead of on her opponents' previous successes," Sykes added.

"I'm a competitive person ... I get really fired up," Winokur said.

Winokur mentioned that in addition to her new approach to the game, her strokes have improved as well.

"She hits the ball hard. That's one of the reasons of her success. Her opponents just can't keep up," Assistant Coach Ken Cucuel said.

But for all 13 of her individual achievements this season, Winokur knows that squash is a team sport. Encouraging her teammates is a job that's almost as important as her play on the court.

"I do it all for my team," Winokur said.

"Andra is really the heart of the women's squash team," Sykes added. "She has a great attitude and is so positive. She always does everything she can to psych herself and the whole team up before every match. She sets a great example for everyone in that she never gives up and always believes that she has the drive, determination, and capability to win every match."

"She's a great encouragement for the rest of the team," Cucuel said. "Andra's a real team player."

Before matches, Cucuel often tells Winokur to "take care of business." And take care of she business she has.