Students have extra party day

Although the Winter Carnival tradition began as a weekend for outdoor activities, today it has evolved into an extra day to party.

Although many students said they plan to spend at least some time this weekend skiing or sledding, they do not consider winter sports to be the focus of the holiday.

Kenneth Leon '98 said he plans to use the weekend as an opportunity to hit the skiways for the first time this winter.

But he said the alcohol and party aspects of the weekend "overshadow the sporting aspect because that's what people talk about more."

Charles Fiordalis '98 said the purpose of Winter Carnival revolves around alumni, not students. He said the weekend gives a reason for alumni to come back to the College and donate money.

Fiordalis said the weekend is also centered around parties.

"People would use any excuse to drink," he said. "They are more apt to drink all day long on Winter Carnival because they get the day off."

Elizabeth Linnel '98 said she wishes there were more events aside from usual Greek house parties.

The Winter Carnival Council has added events to the weekend's schedule this year to emphasize winter activities -- the tradition on which the holiday was founded.

"Outdoor Afternoon" is new to the Carnival tradition and activities include sleigh-rides through Pine Park and a sledding race.

The emphasis of "Outdoor Afternoon" is on students enjoying the outdoors Council Chair Amy Henry '97 said.

"Outdoor Afternoon" will begin with Polar Bear Swim. Students will bear their skin to the icy water in Occom Pond, said Rachel Gilliar '98, the event's organizer.

Gilliar recalled there are "always some drunk people [and] always some naked ones."

The Dartmouth Alpine Team is racing today at the Dartmouth Skiway, said Laura Turner '98, co-captain of the women's alpine team.

"Most people don't realize that the reason we don't go to school on Friday is because of the race," she said.