Mastanduno named Dickey head

The John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding announced yesterday that Government professor Michael Mastanduno will become the center's new director July 1.

Mastanduno is a specialist in international politics and economics who has researched the relations between the United States and Japan and the economic competition between the US, Europe and Japan.

Acting Director of the Dickey Center Gene Lyons, who has collaborated on research and co-edited a book with Mastanduno, said he is optimistic about Mastanduno's appointment.

Lyons said Mastanduno is a "valued old friend," and he expects him to perform "marvelously" in the new position.

College President James Freedman also praised Mastanduno in a press release.

"Professor Mastanduno is a leader in the study of international relations who has already made strong contributions to the work of the Dickey Center," Freedman said. "Instilling in students an interest in international affairs is one of the priorities of a Dartmouth education, and we look forward to Professor Mastanduno contributing even more to that effort in his new role."

Mastanduno has been a member of the College faculty since 1987, and has worked as Deputy Director of the Dickey Center since 1993.

In addition, he chaired the search committee which sought a replacement for former Dickey Center Director Martin Sherwin, who left in 1995 to work as a history professor at Tufts University.

He has researched post-Cold War theories of international political economics. In 1989, Mastanduno served in the Office of the United States Trade Representative as a special assistant for Europe and Japan.

The John Sloane Dickey Center for International Understanding is named for the 12th president of the College, who served from 1945 through 1970. The Center was founded in February 1982, to "honor and sustain the international dimension of President Dickey's legacy," according to a brochure.

The Center sponsors public conferences, symposia and lectures in the field of international relations. It is divided into three institutes: the United Nations Institute, the Institute on Canada and the United States and the Arctic Studies Institute.

The Center is located on the second floor of Baker Library. Professor Mastanduno was unavailable for comment.