Big Green trounce Panthers

The women's hockey team snagged a crucial road victory as it toppled the Middlebury Panthers, 4-2, at the Duke Nelson Arena yesterday. The win bumped the Big Green's overall record to 12-10-1 on the season.

Dartmouth played the role of the gracious guest by letting the Panthers' Whitney Parks light the lamp eight and a half minutes into the first period. Middlebury's Catherine Pullins and Leanne MacDonald skated down the middle and criss-crossed at mid-ice before passing it to Parks for the shot off the left circle.

But the Big Green wouldn't stay behind for long as senior Malaika Little dented the Panthers net a minute later to tie the score. Michelyne Pinard '98 tallied the assist.

With two minutes left in the first period, Amy Coelho '97 took advantage of a Dartmouth power-play as she blasted a feed from Jess Clark '98 to put the Big Green ahead by one.

The Panthers kicked off the second stanza with a roar as Christina McDougall snuck one past Dartmouth goalie Melissa Siegfried '96 at the 6:24 mark.

The tie remained for the next ten minutes of play until Coelho connected for her second power-play goal of the game at 18:37. Pinard and Little shared the assist on the eventual game-winner from Coelho.

In the third period, Middlebury seemed to lose steam as Dartmouth stepped it up one notch. "I think we definitely played a more solid game in the third period," said Assistant Coach Pat Crowe after the game.

On both ends of the ice, the teams struggled to get the open shot. The Panthers managed only four shots in the final period while the Big Green launched six shots on goal.

Dartmouth's Clark punched in the final tally of the night with five minutes left on the clock as she snagged a pass from Sarah Halsell '99 along the boards and threaded the needle from the top of the crease.

Between the posts, Siegfried had 26 saves on the night for the Big Green.

"I think this was a key win for us," Crowe said. "After dropping two games this past weekend, this victory will give the confidence we need going into our upcoming home games."

As the Big Green hits the season homestretch, their chances of reaching the postseason playoff picture hang in the balance every time they step out onto the ice.

This weekend, they face-off against Ivy rivals Princeton and Yale on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. Earlier in the season, the Big Green edged the Tigers, 4-3, and pounded the Bulldogs, 7-0, on the road.

The puck drops at 3:00 p.m. for both games at Thompson Arena.