Big Green finish 8th at Easterns

After last year's sixth place finish, the women's swim team was a little disappointed by this year's eighth place finish.

The team scored only 211 points, over 90 points less than last year's performance.

However, the team had a number of season best times and lifetime bests.

"Overall, I'm very pleased with the season," Coach Joann Brislin said. "One of my goals was to be 7-7 or better and one of my goals was to get a swimmer to the NCAA Championships."

The team was led by Andrea Hill '97. Last year, Hill won Dartmouth's first EWSL individual championship in school history.

On Saturday, Hill repeated, destroying the field, en route to a 2:17.48, three 10ths of a second faster than the varsity record.

However, that wasn't even Hill's fastest race of the meet.

On Thursday, Hill swam a time trial in the 200 breaststroke, hoping to take full advantage of being rested.

She swam a 2:16.92. That time met the NCAA Championship "B" cut, and was only a second-and-a-half off of the automatic cut.

This means that Hill will have to wait until March 14th to find out whether she will be traveling to nationals.

"Nobody deserves to go to NCAA's more than she does," Brislin said. "She a hard worker, a smart worker, and a great racer."

Hill also took third in the 100-yard breaststroke, swimming a 1:04.74. Hill was the Dartmouth's big scorer, scoring a total of forty points.

Gret Duckworth '00 also turned in a strong performance.

Her time of 17:20.79 in the 1650 freestyle broke Christina Caroe's varsity record of 17:23.69.

Courtney DuBois '99 led the Dartmouth diving contingent.

DuBois took fifth place in the three-meter competition and fourth in the one-meter competition.

DuBois showed significant improvement over last year's performance on the three-meter board. After finishing ninth with a score of 384.15 last year, she scored 446.90, breaking Dartmouth's three-meter championship record.

With that performance, DuBois now holds all of Dartmouth's diving records.

On the one-meter, DuBois scored 378.30 points. Both performances qualified her for the NCAA Eastern Zone Qualifying Meet.

Sarah Hobson '97 also qualified for Zones which will be held in two weeks.