Women's swimming sinks Penn

The men's and women's swim teams resumed Ivy League competition this weekend with very different results.

The women's team led the entire meet en route to a 168-127. The men trailed closely behind Penn, before giving way to their superior numbers, falling 145-96. The women's squad is now 4-2 overall and 1-2 in the Ivy League. The men's team drops to 1-3 overall and 0-3 in league.

Among the highlights of the men's meet were the performances of the distance duo of Doug Doucet '98 and Andy Doucet '00. Doug led the 1000 yard freestyle the entire way. Andy began the race in fifth place, coming back on the last length to finish second. The performance brought the Big Green within two points.

On the diving board, Toby Hays '99 and Mark Devlin '98 led the Big Green with a 1-3 finish on both boards. Hays won the one meter competition 286.5 points and dominated the three meter with a score of 321.375, approaching the men's team record and the pool record.

However, the Big Green endured disappointed in both relay events as Penn came from behind to win both the 400 yard medley relay and the 400 yard freestyle relay.

On the women's side, the team was led by Andrea Hill '97 and Emilie Ellis '97. Hill took top honors in all of her events, leading the 200 yard medley to victory in 1:52.93 and winning the 200 yard breaststroke in 2:23.98. Ellis won the 1000 yard freestyle in 10:36.45 and the 200 yard back in 2:13.29.

"We were so determined that even a run in with the board didn't hurt us." co-Captain Sarah Hobson said. "It was so much fun to watch everyone, swimmers and divers come together like that and have some amazing swims and dives."

Led by Courtney DuBois '99, the divers absolutely dominated sweeping the competition on both boards. DuBois scored 249.675 on the one meter board and 267.6 on the three meter.

"It comes from all of the hard work we did over training trip." Ann Craig '97 said. "We're really focused this year, and I think that it's starting to show."

Both teams will head to New York to face Columbia this weekend, as the women look to extend their winning streak and the men look to return to their winning form.