Vandals trash old Beta house

The house at 6 Webster Avenue formerly occupied by Beta Theta Pi fraternity members was vandalized at the end of Fall term, causing damage in excess of $15,000. The vandalism, which is a felony, was committed while members of Beta still lived in the house.

Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone said he thinks the vandalism was "more than likely committed by members of the house," and said the investigation into the crime "will continue when the students return."

The damage was reported to the police by Beta's alumni corporation, according to Hanover Police Supervisor Richard Paulsen.

According to Giaccone, the damage to the house included more than 30 broken windows, holes in the walls, painted graffiti, doors ripped off the hinges, a broken basement sewer pipe, overflowed toilets, discharged fire extinguishers, trash thrown about and vomit on the floor.

The damage was incurred sometime between Dec. 9 and 13, he said, "probably during a single incident."

Vandalism causing damage in excess of $500 is a felony charge, Paulsen said.

Paulsen said a corporation could be fined up to $100,000 if it "is found guilty of such mischief." However, he said, this is not the case with Beta, "since the corporation was derecognized."

Giaccone said the alumni corporation that owns the 6 Webster Ave. house was angry about the vandalism.

He said he is not sure whether arrests will result from the incident.

"We'll see where the investigation goes," Giaccone said.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said the College is interested in finding the vandals.

"If [the Hanover Police] identify the individual or individuals, they will be held responsible both in terms of the law and in terms of the College," Pelton said.

"We wouldn't want students going around destroying property," he said.

Students who were members of Beta fraternity were unavailable for comment.