Students generally oppose Prop 209

With this week's flurry of campus activity promoting discussion of California's Proposition 209, many Dartmouth students said they support affirmative action and the repeal of the measure, the California Civil Rights Initiative.

Proposition 209, which Californians passed by a 54 to 46 percent vote on Nov. 5, forbids the discrimination against or preferential treatment to anyone on the basis of sex, color, ethnicity or national origin in the areas of public employment, public education or public contracting in California.

Proposition 187, which Californians passed two years ago, eliminated affirmative action in public education in California.

Most of the students interviewed by The Dartmouth said they opposed the new law because the country is not ready to eliminate affirmative action.

After the "speak out" organized by the Dartmouth Coalition for Equal Access and Opportunity yesterday, the debate sponsored by the Conservative Union at Dartmouth Monday night, BlitzMail messages and other discussions, many students say they are well-informed of the new law.

Tracie Davis '97, who is a California resident, said she voted against Proposition 209 on her absentee ballot.

"I just don't think California is ready for it. The ideal would be everyone is judged based on their accomplishments," she said. "You just can't get rid of affirmative action. We have to change more first."

Demetrius Bronson '98, also a California voter said labeling Proposition 209 a "Civil Rights Initiative" on the ballot was deceptive.

"People didn't know what they were voting for," he said.

Bronson said he opposed the proposition because it makes false assumptions.

"It makes the assumption that there are no more race problems, the glass ceilings have fallen down and everyone is given the same opportunity to achieve the American dream," he said. "In theory, it makes sense, but in practice, you can't assume everyone's equal."

Vanessa Pierce '98 said the new law has an "underlying racism."

"I have firm convictions against it from what I know," she said. "It refuses to recognize that race and gender have nothing to do with career advancement."

Erin Broderick '99 said she is disappointed the law passed because there are more than just economic issues at stake.

"I feel it's doing more harm than good. You can't stop affirmative action to solve equality problems because there are not only economic problems," Broderick said. "There is also racial tension."

Some students said they thought the proposition would only work in an ideal society.

"When everyone has been on equal footing for a while, then we can toss out outreach programs." She added, "But we don't live in an ideal society. We're not all on equal footing," Ebony Jones '98 said.

Chris Butler '97 said while he partially agrees with affirmative action, he thinks it reflects a pessimistic view of society.

"I can understand that reasoning but I don't think [discrimination] is as much of a problem as it has been in the past," he said.

Some students said they supported many of the ideas behind Proposition 209.

Greg Friedland '99 said he thinks the nation is ready for Proposition 209.

"I think affirmative action is no longer needed. It's outdated," Friedland said. "It was instituted to counterbalance racism, which is not present as strongly as it was before."

He also said the new California law prevents discrimination.

"It is not justifiable to discriminate against one group to end discrimination against other groups," he said.

Some students said they supported Proposition 209 because it would make employment more fair.

"You shouldn't recognize qualities which have nothing to do with a job," Ben Mishkin '00 said.

Butler said hiring should be merit-based.

"I don't agree with preferential treatment for positions," Butler said. "There should be no favoritism if I am the more qualified candidate for a job."

Some students said California's vote will cue other states to pass similar laws.

"California is a big, powerful state which is starting a big conservative wave that is not going to stop," Pierce said.

Bronson said Proposition 209 reflects a trend of economic polarization in California.

"It is a trend which started with Proposition 187 that is trying to further polarize America on a socio-economic status with the haves and the have-nots," Bronson said.

But students said they thought Dartmouth would not be affected by this kind of measure.

John Farnham '99, who is a California resident, pointed out that a state ban on affirmative action would not affect the College because it is a private institution and the administration is supportive of affirmative action and its programs.

Jon Kline '99 said this kind of proposition would not make it to New Hampshire because the state has a demographic make up that is different from California's.

"Race is less of an issue on the workplace in New Hampshire," he said. "There are less minorities applying for jobs."