Nation elects to stay with status quo

Americans showed yet again Tuesday they want to steer clear of extremism and keep parties in check when they re-elected Bill Clinton and strengthened an already Republican Senate.

The results of the election hint at the passing of moderate legislation on both the national and state levels during the next two years.

The status quo

Government Professor James Schoch said voters had few reasons not to vote for Clinton.

"The economy is strong and the country is at peace, so it is almost impossible to dislodge an incumbent," he explained.

During his first two years as president, Clinton showed his liberal side, introducing his fiscal stimulus package and national healthcare plan, which eventually contributed to the Republican revolution in Congress.

In the last two years, Clinton adopted more moderate views to appease Congress and appeal to a wider range of voters.

"Clinton has repositioned himself as a new Democrat as opposed to the big spending, big government liberal," Shoch said.

The typical issues which usually divide the vote were not in effect in this election, Schoch noted.

"No issues like abortion, immigration or taxation were important," he said.

Shoch said issues of performance like economic management and healthcare played a factor in the election.

Dole was not the right candidate

Clinton also had an advantage because the Republican party appeared divided as to who should lead the party during the primaries.

While Clinton was uncontested during the primaries and was able to maintain his image, the Republicans battled over who should receive the nomination, Linda Fowler, government professor and director of Rockefeller Center said.

Bob Dole also presented an image that the nation did not find generally appealing, though polls found voters felt the Republican candidate was more honest.

Rockefeller Center Council Student Intern Jake Shields '97 said, "Clinton is a person you know is very dishonest, but you don't care."

Government Professor Constantine Spiliotes said age was an issue that separated the two candidates. At 72, Dole seemed out of touch with the majority of voters.

Government Professor Richard Winters said the election could have turned out differently if the Republicans had nominated a different candidate.

"I'm hard pressed for conjuring up conceivable alternatives. The [retired General Colin] Powell -- [Jack] Kemp ticket would be a wild card," Winters said.

"Nominating a highly popular military leader with great powerful personal positives has been shown to be a historical success," he continued. "The problem is Powell is not a wild card in important ways, mainly because of his pro-life stance."

The next four years

Students and experts predicted Clinton's second "first hundred days" will not see any dramatic changes.

"There is no major initiative around which he'll try to rally the country," Shoch said. "Deficit reduction continues to be a top priority and we'll see more of the same -- status quo politics."

In his acceptance speech Tuesday night, Clinton emphasized the need to work with Republicans.

Spiliotes said predicted, "there will be continued spirit of compromise in issues of the environment and welfare."

Americans foresee Republican appointments and many other changes in the composition of the administration.

"There will be big changes in the Cabinet -- a lot of personnel changes," Shapiro said.

In fact, Secretary of State Warren Christopher had already resigned yesterday.

Government Professor Catherine Shapiro said over the next four years there will be slow and incremental changes in medicare and social security.

Scott Burns '97, a Democratic student campaign coordinator, said American's should expect nothing different than they have seen in the last two years.

"There will be continued bipartisan bickering about the budget, deficit, environment and education funding and there will be continued downsizing of the government," he said.

But Freeman said because Clinton is not seeking re-election he may revert back to the liberal character he displayed in his first two years in office.

"I hope he'll move to the left-- he's done with elections and can govern from the heart the next four years," Freeman said.

But Brian Reilly '99, president of the Young Democrats said such a move is unlikely.

"It will be a pro-moderate situation especially because there is a stronger Republican Senate," he said. "There will be perhaps conservative attempts which will be reduced to microproposals and no overhauls."

It is likely that investigations will continue into Clinton's involvement in Whitewater and other ethical issues during his second term.

"A lot of people think it's going to be an acrimonious term with the Republicans raking up old scandals, but I don't share that view," Fowler said.