Big Green Make Perfect History

The 1996 Ivy League Champions never trailed at halftime of any game. In fact, they only trailed once in the second half all year. The Big Green scored the first points in eight of their 10 contests. They posted two Ivy League shutouts for the first time since 1990. Dartmouth's offense was the most proficient in the Ivy League, averaging 27.5 points per game while the defense was the stingiest, allowing just over 10 points a contest. The end result -- the first 10-0 season in Dartmouth history.

How this year's squad became one of the greatest of all time:

Dartmouth 24, Pennsylvania 22

Dartmouth started off the season in a dogfight against longtime nemesis Pennsylvania in a game that many believe gave the Big Green the confidence with which to go through the rest of their schedule. The Big Green controlled most of the contest, taking an 18-13 halftime lead on the strength of two scores by quarterback Jon Aljancic '97. But after Penn had fought back to take a 22-18 lead, Aljancic led the offense down the field and with just 18 seconds left found wide receiver Eric Morton '97 on a crossing route to give Dartmouth a 24-22 victory and its first win over Pennsylvania in Head Coach John Lyons' career.

"I think the Penn game gave us great confidence, especially in the way that we came back and won it," fullback Pete Oberle '96 said.

Lyons said, "Every year we would play Penn close but we would lose and suddenly we would be in the hole after the first game of the season trying to chase somebody down to get the title. This year we really set our minds to getting that victory and the players responded."

Dartmouth 21, Lehigh 14

The Big Green followed the Penn game with three straight Patriot League contests that helped to work the kinks out before heading into the remainder of the Ivy League schedule. In cold, rainy and blustery conditions at Lehigh in week two, Dartmouth took an early lead behind the running of tailback Greg Smith '97 and was able to hold off a pesky Lehigh team thanks to the second half help of two interceptions from safety Lloyd Lee '98 to seal the 21-14 victory.

Dartmouth 20, Fordham 7

The following week saw the offense put up 543 total yards but proved that the Big Green still lacked the finishing touch as they failed to get into the endzone on five of their first six possessions. The defense made up for the lack of scoring though, as they held Fordham in check, allowing only five rushing yards on the afternoon.

Dartmouth 35, Holy Cross 7

The victory over the Crusaders was the breakout point for the Big Green, the first game in which the offense, defense and special teams all excelled. Aljancic had three touchdown runs as the offense was able to score touchdowns on all five trips inside the Holy Cross 20.

Dartmouth 40, Yale 6

Dartmouth's defense provided the offense with great field position, making the Big Green go more than 50 yards only once in the first half. Dartmouth came out strong in front of the homecoming crowd and scored 14 points early, but the day belonged to placekicker Dave Regula '98, who set a school record with 16 points on the day while hitting four field goals.

Dartmouth 38, Cornell 21

Following the Yale game, the Big Green had to play four of their final five games on the road, starting in Ithaca, N.Y. Both defenses struggled early in the first quarter, but Dartmouth settled down and scored 24 unanswered points in the second half to pull away from Cornell and hand the Big Red their first Ivy League loss of the season. Aljancic throws for 323 yards to top the 300-yard mark for the first time in his career while Smith gains over 100 yards to as the offense has their second 500 yard output of the season.

Dartmouth 6, Harvard 3

To go undefeated means winning some games that you deserved to lose, and that was exactly what happened in the 100th meeting between the Crimson and the Big Green. Harvard placekicker Ryan Korinke's 39-yard field goal hit the right upright as time expired to preserve the victory just moments after he had missed a 45-yard field goal to the left in a game where the Big Green offense was plagued by three fumbles.

Dartmouth 40, Columbia 0

Dartmouth wasted little time in establishing their dominance over the eventual runner-up Lions. The Big Green scored on three straight possessions in the first half and took a 26-0 lead into the locker room. The defense has three interceptions and posts its first shutout since 1992 in what was prematurely dubbed the Ivy League championship game.

Dartmouth 27, Brown 24

In a shootout that saw both team's march up and down the field, Dartmouth wins the actual Ivy League championship game behind the strength of 139 yards rushing from Smith. On the Big Green's final drive, Aljancic directs the offense down the field, setting up a Regula 20 yard field goal with 1:30 remaining in the fourth quarter. However, the defense was forced to withstand a late drive by Brown quarterback Jason McCullough to get the victory. McCullough, who had thrown for 324 yards, led the Bears down to the Dartmouth 30, but on the final play his receiver was stopped 11 yards short, giving the Big Green their 17th Ivy League championship.

Dartmouth 24, Princeton 0

In the final game at Princeton's Palmer Stadium, the Big Green gained revenge on Princeton and completed the first 10-0 season in school history by shutting out the Tigers. Lloyd Lee's 70-yard interception return late in the second quarter gave Dartmouth some breathing room that they wouldn't need as the defense stifled the Princeton offense, allowing only 111 total yards while recording nine sacks.