Behold the Superman

After reading Abiola Lapite '98's column, "Ecce Homo," I had to take another look around the campus to make sure that I was attending the same school as its author, Abiola Lapite. No one has approached me about joining a cult, nor have I received any harassment on my way to the library. I actually think that the studious habits of the men and women at this college have had a very positive impact on my own.

Much to my surprise however, Mr. Lapite informed me that I am being made into an "organization man." I really hadn't noticed. How exactly is this happening?

You see, according to Lapite, Dartmouth produces sheep, a herd of conforming minions. How is this done? Maybe the admissions staff goes out of their way every year to accept the fifth of applicants that are the most undistinguished. Maybe Dartmouth attempts to create classes of mediocrity. But this cannot be. Mr. Lapite himself says that the student body is responsible for this mediocrity, not the Administration, which he admits does quite a good job.

If the best fifth of applicants are accepted to Dartmouth by the admittedly good Administration, then the transition to mediocrity must occur when that class arrives. It must be, according to Lapite, that the upperclasses corrupt the entering freshman with thoughts of mediocrity, and so indoctrinate them into their "Cult."

Well, I'm afraid this simply doesn't make any sense. Mediocrity is not a contagion that is spread from class to class. There is no conspiracy, or cult, to perpetuate mediocrity at Dartmouth. It has been my experience that it is achievement, not mediocrity that is fostered here, by both the administration and the student body.

All of the people I have met here respect hard work. Not every person works hard, but everyone respects those who do. Beyond work, I have seen nothing but admiration exhibited towards those who are more "competent.'" These stand-outs are not criticized, and their books are not stolen while they aren't looking a la Princeton. But in addition to this admiration, there is a recognition at Dartmouth that competence comes in different forms. Just because someone has decidedly skewed philosophical ideas, doesn't mean that he can't succeed as a math major. Likewise, if we aren't a classics scholar like Nietzsche, that doesn't mean that we need to be labeled "Latin challenged" by his disciples.

Students here recognize different talents, and understand that we all contribute to the Dartmouth tapestry in a different way. History is much the same way. Some threads may be brighter than others, but they all contribute to the various intricacies of the pattern. It is true that there are giants that have a great impact on history, but we are all a product of our times and the people in our time.

Would Newton have ever made the great discoveries that he did had Oxford and Cambridge not been closed because of plague? Would any of us know the name Jesus had St. Paul not spread Christianity across the Mediterranean? There is no such thing as an ubermensch, or superman, who can bend history to his will. We are all affected by events around us.

The bright threads here in Hanover realize that they are a part of the Dartmouth tapestry, and they show no condescension to others, because they understand that we all contribute to the pattern in a different way.

I'm not sure how Lapite believes that the pursuit and recognition of excellence is the driving force behind his column, but if that excellence is what he is searching for, he has only to look up from his Nietzsche.