Will to Excel fundraising effort ends

The Will to Excel capital campaign ended last night having exceeded its goal by more than $30 million.

The five-year campaign raised money to increase endowments for facilities and student and academic programs.

The campaign hit its $500 million goal in June, according to Stan Colla, vice president of development and alumni relations.

The original goal for the campaign, $425 million, was increased to $500 million in October, 1994.

Director of Development Publications Jack DeGange said yesterday the final amount raised will not be released until Friday, once all contributions have been processed.

He said more specific details about the campaign will not be available until next week.

DeGange told The Dartmouth last month the goal had already been exceeded by six percent, with $530,033,275 raised to that point.

Although the campaign officially ended yesterday at 5 p.m., Colla said he expected last-minute faxes from around the country last night pledging donations to the campaign.

"People were working busily dealing with last-minute calls," Colla said. "There were people making decisions to participate in the campaign right up until 5 o'clock."

He added there was "a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and excitement about the end date amongst staff, volunteers and donors right up to the end."

Two weeks before the Will to Excel campaign ended, DeGange said only $187 million of the $237.9 million financial goal for undergraduate education in the arts and sciences had been raised.

He said goals for the Dartmouth Medical School, Thayer School of Engineering and Tuck School of Business Administration were all surpassed.

Goals for scholarship endowment were exceeded by 25 percent, DeGrange told The Dartmouth last month. He said $48.4 million was raised, surpassing the $40 million goal.