Students mobilize campus to vote 'green'

A group of Dartmouth students is leading an attempt to educate the Hanover community about the environmental records of candidates running for public office.

Seniors Laura Sigman and Jim Hourdequin, members of the Dartmouth Outing Club's environmental studies division, are leading the National Campaign for the Campus Green Vote at the College.

The goals of the program are to "see students become more aware about how students who care for the environment can vote for candidates who share their values and will uphold environmental policies," Sigman said.

College campuses are crucial in the Green Vote's campaign to fully educate students and community members, she said.

Sigman said so many candidates call themselves "green" the term has become an ambiguous "buzz word."

The term is often applied to platforms which include a "broad range of issues, such as keeping up the National Parks, or upholding the Clean Water Act," Sigman said.

This sort of generalization is misleading to voters, according to Sigman, because there are candidates who "call themselves environmentalists, but really aren't."

Sigman said she would like to see Dartmouth's environmental commitment reflected in this year's elections.

"The youth vote increases the potential for the environment to be on platforms and make a difference," she said.

"We want to raise student's awareness that their vote makes a difference," said Emily Neuman '98, The Green Vote campaign "goes beyond just voting environmentally."

The Dartmouth Outing Club's policy does not allow the environmental studies division to endorse particular candidates.

Sigman also noted geographic diversity of Dartmouth students makes it difficult to get information on every possible candidate in every state.

Leader of the DOC's environmental studies division Josh Mooney '98 is working on getting guest speakers to address Dartmouth students.

The environmental studies division hopes to host Charles Bass '74 (R-N.H.) and Arnie Arneson, competitors for New Hampshire's House seat.

The League of Conservation Voters will be aiding the Green Vote campaign in their efforts to inform the entire campus on their candidates stand on environmental policies.

On Thursday, the League will hold a voter registration drive at the Hopkins Center.

The League will also set up information tables around campus as the election nears, with candidate ratings based on their environmental record.

The League of Conservation Voters also offers information on their World Wide Web page at http://www.LCV.org.

The group has also planned a host of other events to get students involved.

Sigman said she hopes the efforts in the Campus Green Vote Campaign will inform and empower students who feel strongly about protecting our environment.