Men's soccer remains only undefeated team in League

For a young Dartmouth squad which entered this season looking to prove that it was better than its 6-11 (3-4 Ivy) record last year, the Big Green are certainly on track.

With Saturday's win against Yale, the Big Green moved to 2-0-1 in the Ivy League and remain the only undefeated team in the League, as Pennsylvania had a stunning upset against a top-ranked Cornell team.

Now, midway through the season, Dartmouth is first in the League, but Harvard and Cornell follow close behind with 3-1 and 2-1-1 Ivy records respectively.

An Ivy League Championship is not only significant becomes of its prestigious meaning, but also because the League winner receives an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament.

"Right now I think Harvard and Cornell will get bids no matter what," co-Captain Dave Moran '96 said. "The focus has shifted to the Ivies now, and we're really excited that we have a shot to win the league title."

The Big Green still have four more games against Ivy League opponents, however, all of which will prove to be tough games for Dartmouth. This Saturday at home, the Big Green will face a Cornell team that is bound to be looking for revenge after their weekend slip up to the Quakers.

Dartmouth's League schedule continues well into November, as the Big Green travel to Harvard Nov. 2, return home to play Columbia Nov. 10 and then hit the road again for their last regular season game against the Brown Bears on Nov. 16.

While all these teams have shown strength so far this season, if the Big Green continue to play with the tenacity they have been, there is no reason not to be optimistic.

Last Saturday against Yale, Dartmouth completely surprised the Bulldogs, downing, or more like drowning, them 5-1.

In the unfavorable conditions, Dartmouth jumped out to an early lead with two goals in the first half of the game.

Bobby Meyer '99 netted a goal just 9:55 into the action and then Methembe Ndlovu '97 put the Big Green thoroughly in the driver's seat with a goal that came just before the 27 minute mark of the first half.

"They were having some problems defensively," Moran said. "They were a little too aggressive against our pressure. It is really important to get off to a good start in bad weather, because it is so hard to play catch up."

Ndlovu added another score just after halftime when he pushed in a loose ball in front of the goal.

"Methembe's two goals were big for us," Moran said. "This week guys finally started scoring. We've been having problems finishing, but this week it came together for us."

Tito Gonzalez finally put Yale on the board just after the eight minute mark of the second half.

Dartmouth's scoring was capped by Mike Lewis '00 and Moran. Lewis scored off of a Tui'one Faleafa '99 cross from the left side with just under 12 minutes to play and Moran added the capper four minutes later.

"I think the eight days of rest really did us some good," Moran said.

"We were able to work on our pressuring and start playing like a real team again."

Before returning to League action, the Big Green will first battle the University of Vermont in Burlington tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 p.m.