College's oldest and youngest prepare for nine months ahead

Recovering from the dizzying days of orientation, many freshmen are settling into life at the College and have begun to make their mark on the Dartmouth community.

Freshman Julia Webb said she and her friends are enjoying their role as members of the Class of 2000 and described the College's spirited atmosphere as "just like Disneyworld."

The Dartmouth community has already made its mark on Webb's roommate, who painted her face and legs to show school spirit at the first football game and then could not remove it.

Webb said her friend ended up attending convocation with a "D" painted on one side of her face, and the words "go green" and "Class of 2000" still painted on her legs.

Freshman John Brett's adjustment to Dartmouth has been more gradual.

Brett, who had never seen Dartmouth before coming here this term said his first reaction to the campus was "send me home. I'm going to community college."

But after two weeks on campus, he said he feels more at home. "Right now, Dartmouth is the place for me."

Brett said settling into his dormitory and finding out about extracurricular activities has made his transition into college life smoother.

He said he plans on becoming involved in the gospel choir, drama club and the Rockefeller Center student council.

Some freshmen, like Melissa Kirkby '00, said she was caught off guard by unanticipated costs.

"Everything has a price -- a fairly expensive price," she said. "I thought gym class was covered in my $30,000 tuition."

"But, on the other hand," she continued. "I am in complete awe of all of the unique and exciting opportunities I have already encountered here. Everyday is a treat that I look forward to."

Some freshmen, like Jay Porter, started off on the wrong foot.

Porter broke his foot while walking at Moosilauke Ravine Lodge on the last day of his Dartmouth Outing Club trip.

Porter said he has spent his first two weeks at Dartmouth hopping around campus and getting acquainted with Safety and Security's student ride program.

But Tom Wellington '00, has been having a great time. "I'm bleeding green already and despite some setbacks, my first two weeks have been exciting and challenging."

Wellington said he is enjoying his classes, like his freshman seminar on spy novels, and is also taking advantage of Dartmouth's party scene.

Many freshmen have been socializing at the College's Greek houses. Eleven of the 14 freshmen interviewed said they had been illegally partying at fraternity houses.

"Freshmen girls can get away with anything," Yvonne Handler '00 said. "I even snuck into a frat through a back window."

But Noah Phillips '00 said taking part in the College's Greek life is a bit harder for freshmen men.

"Freshmen guys get away with nothing," he said. "We're the bottom of the food chain."

Freshmen already know that academics are also crucial to Dartmouth life and settling into classes is important to most of them.

"I love my classes, but there's a lot more work than I thought there would be," Allison Aboud '00 said.

Other students agreed that Dartmouth coursework is more difficult than their high school classes.

Porter said his classes are keeping him very busy, and Lisa Gorrin '00 said she was not anticipating having so much work.

Freshman Andrew Martin's complaints focused more on the Dartmouth Dining Services than on classes.

Martin said he feels the food is expensive and the meal plan overcharges students.

"Instead of the Dartmouth meal plan, we should have an EBAs meal plan," he suggested.

Other freshmen agreed with his idea and said they were dissatisfied with the meal plan.