College reviews use of Green

Students, faculty and administrators working to create new policies concerning the use of the Green hope to complete a draft of their recommendations by November.

Vice President and Treasurer of the College Lyn Hutton wrote in an e-mail message that she and Dean of the College Lee Pelton formed a committee last spring to "look at College policies regarding use of the Green."

Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia said the committee, which is comprised of faculty members, administrators and students met once during Spring term to begin discussions on changes to the Green use policy.

Use of the Green became a controversial topic last spring after the College refused to allow Native Americans at Dartmouth to hold their annual pow-wow on the area.

Student Assembly member Case Dorkey '99, who sponsored a resolution the Assembly passed Spring term, which urged the College to look into its Green use policy, said he is concerned about what he sees as inconsistent enforcement of the current policy about Green use.

"The policy they enforced for the pow-wow is different than the Handbook policy," Dorkey said. "Not to say one is better than the other, but there needs to be some consistency."

Sateia said the College formed a second committee last spring to make recommendations to Pelton and Hutton about location options for the pow-wow.

Ty P.K. Tengan '97, who is on the committee to find a location for the Pow-Wow, said he was not asked to be a part of the committee investigating the College's policy towards usage of the Green.

Tengan said at the end of Spring term, various groups -- including students, administrators and members of Native Americans at Dartmouth -- met to discuss the use of the Green and why the Pow-Wow could not be held there.

Tengan said he came back to school at the beginning of this term to learn there was a separate committee to discuss the policy of the use of the Green.

"The whole reason this came about was because of the talks we were having. The Green is supposed to be a communal area the Dartmouth community is supposed to use, and they are writing a policy without the input of students and the Dartmouth community," Tengan said.